Author Topic: New year, old mystery? S&W 1970 top gas fed  (Read 6191 times)

Offline blagginc

• View Profile
    • blaggbodyshopinc.com
  • Your Best Time: 10.30 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: kansas international dragway, wichita ks
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 pontiac gto
New year, old mystery? S&W 1970 top gas fed
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:02:19 PM »
I found another old race car and I want to identify it.  Complete roller so it's a good place to start.  I don't think it's a twin engine,  but could have been, need advice from people who would know .  Has a chassis tag/sema tag from s&w but they did not keep records.  Has a unique trailer might help tell who's it was.  Previous owner said it was a motes and Williams car but I don't think that's right either.  It will be fun figuring it out, looking forward to speaking to everyone and digging for clues.  Pictures to follow, thanks for any help you can give. :(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:00:47 PM by GlennLever »

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: New year, old mystery? S&W 1970 top gas fed
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »
More pictures
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: New year, old mystery? S&W 1970 top gas fed
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
He supports Pontiacs so he cannot be all bad!

1958 Pontiac Chieftain, Sharon Wilhite

This vintage looking racecar surprises many a competitor as it grabs asphalt and goes flying past them at the finish line. Sharon is a well espected dragracer for her winning ways in the"Old Warrior."  It doesn't hurt having a bright red beast, that runs elapsed quarter mile times in the 10.20-10.30 second range at nearly 130 miles per hour, either.

Mr. & Mrs. Wilhite have been very successful with their fast Pontiacs.  Here they are in Dallas, TX at the 2006 Pontiac Southern Nationals. They each took home the win in their respective classes.

Here we see Sharon is heating the hides at the Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, Illinois which is right outside of Chicago, IL.  The Chieftain is an all steel car with exception of the fiberglass cowl hood scoop we added prior to repainting.  Look for a new hood to come soon with a forward opening design.

1959 Pontiac Catalina Widetrack, Tom Wilhite

What a sight it is to see this huge Pontiac in action at the track.  This car is truly impressive because it has run a best elapsed time of 9.86 seconds at over 135 miles per hour in the quarter mile.  Most people are amazed that the car is all-steel with the exception of the fiberglass hood scoop and front bumper that we created here at the shop.

Mr. & Mrs. Wilhite have been very successful with their fast Pontiacs.  They are pictured in Dallas, TX at the 2006 Pontiac Southern Nationals. They each took home the win in their respective classes. The red 1958 Pontiac is Sharon Wilhite's  "Old Warrior," 

Tom's Catalina started from a car found rotting out in a field near Miami,OK.  Now it spends summers taking on anyone brave enough to line up against this Widetrack Wonder.  This car suffered extensive rust and decay from spending the last 25 years out in the elements.

1963 Pontiac Tempest, Mike and Vicky Cooper

This Tempest Pro-Modified Racecar is one of our loyal return customers.  Racing at many venues throughout the Midwest takes its toll on this Jerry Bickel-built machine.  We do our best to keep it looking great between races!

Here we are repairing the carbon fiber nose piece due to a blower belt failure at the races.

Here we see the Coopers in the Winner's Circle following the Ames High Performance Nationals held in Norwalk Ohio 2006 with their slick '63 Tempest

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/