Author Topic: lifter clearance  (Read 5795 times)

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
lifter clearance
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
What is an acceptable lifter bore clearance for roller lifters in an iron block? If it matters it is a big block Chrysler. Have one that is .003" and feel that is a little too much. Thanks.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
Re: lifter clearance
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
for me? the loose end of the spread, + a little more.  I stuck one once.  :(

Valve clearance too. 

I have mine set on 'worn out' according to my machinist.  I can't recall the exact measurement however.  (iron SBC)
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:15 AM »
I build lots of Mopar big blocks--thing is these days we are dealing with some pretty old iron --Mopar used to sell flat tappet lifters that were a thou smaller so...
The big thing I have found is different brands of lifters are all different sizes--Iskys run smaller-  I continue to see a big diff in diameter between different brands of lifters so maybe look around
.003 is big but that will not be what gives trouble IMO--slap it in there and go
--Big deal with Mopars is do not run a banded solid roller lifter--use solid body unless you have bushed lifter bores otherwise the band gets to close to the bottom of the bore and drops oil pressure to unacceptable level with most higher lift cams
That leaves Comps and my favorites Crowers or Morels   Comps quality has fallen a long way in recent years
Todd Marsh at Marsh Performance is one of the USA's BEST mopar parts places and they have EVERYTHING and the best tech anywhere call Todd 336 283 0800  He is da man! Great prices--great advice--he Knows Mopars
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:07:39 AM »
Hemi Dakota:
 Lifter clearance is tough to put a number on.
They need plenty with a cast iron block so they don't gall up and stick.
Too much clearance bleeds off oil but if it runs down on the cam lobes its not all bad.
If your lifter bores measure all good but one, take it to an engine shop that can bronze bush the one hole.
Measure EVERYTHING you buy these days. In our "hi-tech" world some companies are sending more trash out the door.
Duster Dave is being polite about Comp Cams quality falling off. We wont use any single part from that outfit. >:(
Crower has always been our choice in lifters [and rocker arms]. 8)
Bronze bushings are the best because you can run them tighter without galling.
Good luck:
 MATT
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline alkyal

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Quaker City/Dragway 42
  • Your Vehicle: Not a Driver-Nostaliga AA/FD
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
Try MOREL brand lifters. They are Priv. label for many [Lunati/Bullit/PBM] They tend to be on the large size for a given size listed.  they offer a std roller lifter and a Pro series [Pros are pressure lubed and can be had with roller needle brgs/or bushed [hint-they make ISKY bushed lifters]Or call Ken @216-390-4561 He is WD Let him know Al from PMCo refered you.