Author Topic: M/T's tires on fed  (Read 10114 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
M/T's tires on fed
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:38:10 AM »
Anyone running M/T's on their fed. Have lots of RED guys running them and swear they are best thing since slice bread. Some say those loose .01 or .02 but that the tires are dead nuts consistent. Few told me their 60's don't vary .01 over 10 runs and thats hot or cold conditions. Guess one thing about running a fed,a lot less folks to get info from,but thats what they call tuning thye car right?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
Re: M/T's tires on fed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
for what it is worth, I use 33x10.5W, M/T's  which are used from a 7 second, 2700# door slammer.  on my 180", 1480# sbc dragster I pull 1.20 60 ft leaving in High gear.  I feel they are good on bite and consistant. car has been running with in .05 over the course of full day with no changes except weather.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »
Well I run from a hobby style econo car but I use MTs on my FED. I get just excellent traction. They seem to last for ever and always have that nice furr showing they are getting good hook. When I go to a new track say like when I first started running at Picton Airfield I go with too much air first. I watch the wear pattern on the tire and the black spot on the ground when I launch. I lower the pressure bit by bit till I get it all the way to the edges of the tire then I stop and run it. Seems to work well with these tires. While others are whining about can't get no bite I am leaving on the hind quarters carrying the front up about 3 inches through most of first gear. Traction like anything on  race car does not come by accident. Sometimes  that old saying "Old age and treachery beats youth and exuberance every time" includes things like this.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:53 PM »
Seems not many run them on fed.Of coarse headsup guys wouldn't since it seems most say they loose .01 to .02 over goodyears.So that takes out any info from Jr fuel guys. Hoosiers are little more common. Going to test Hoosiers I have if I get anywhere near the mean bite at end of burnout that a few have said they do with them then I have to buy new anyway so either Hoosiers(15% off) or M/Ts which a lot swear are most consistent tire they ever ran.

Man has to be crazy to build a car mainly for brackets that almost nobody runs in brackets. I tires being sane one day it sucked.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline mfp-66

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: stock 68 cadillac 472
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:51:31 AM »
I've got 33x10.5x15 M/Ts on my fed

only done a few practice runs so can't comment too much on them

but seem to get good traction off line

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:08:06 AM by mfp-66 »

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:17 AM »
yea seems they hook anywhere and most any condition or thats the word I have gotten from a bunch of RED guys.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
Talked with Buddy at M/T today and he strongly suggested the 3074S. Said he had tried 3 types on FED's and these worked the best of any hands down.  Seems FED's like stiffer sidewall. He gave me number of dealer that he said he knew would get me perfect matched set when UIm ready to pull the trigger. If interested in M/T's for  your car give him a call. 330-928- 9092 ext 3142.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
I have the 33x10.5 MT's  they try and hook up in the water on my car!! Seems like they prefer more pressure than you would think to start with--It is more fun with 9.5 or more   at 8 they were grabbing in the edge of the water and would flip the car over at the line--so far I like them--I also like the extra ground clearance for the car and they seem happy on my 10 inch wide wheels
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
Dave,

Its not the tires just need more HORSEPOWER. Got to use it and abuse it.LOL

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »
I have the 33x10.5 MT's  they try and hook up in the water on my car!! Seems like they prefer more pressure than you would think to start with--It is more fun with 9.5 or more   at 8 they were grabbing in the edge of the water and would flip the car over at the line--so far I like them--I also like the extra ground clearance for the car and they seem happy on my 10 inch wide wheels

Are you running without a wheelie bar?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »
Man from replys about M/T's on DRR I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the trigger on new set before I go to track first time. Dozen guysa talking 200 runs and dead consistent from new to the cords showing.