Author Topic: I need Engine  (Read 20444 times)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
I need Engine
« on: August 21, 2014, 05:19:51 AM »
I need some power in my FED for next spring, but dont know exactly what to choose.
Car is setup for SBC, so thats it gonna be, but no real requirements beyond that. No moderns though. Anyone wanna suggest something for a guy with a little bit of budget in mind? (I have a family that needs to be "fed" also).
It has to be some extra power over stock though, i still wanna race, not doing sunday picknicks  :P

Sure wanna run blown hemi on nitro, but thats not gonna happen in a few years.. i think  :o

8) 8) 8)

dreracecar

Re: I need Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »
What are the classes available for you to run at your local track?? Carburated engines will get you into the 9.5et range, Injected alc will be 8.5et range, blown alc or injected with a taste of nitro gets you 7.50ets. High dollar blown alc or injected nitro will get you 7.0 and quicker ets

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
SBC gives you hundreds of options. Want nostalgic go injected with zoomies and build biggest sbc you can. 383 i great power combo while not exploding 2 banks. Good strong 350 4 bolt main and steel 3.75 crank a set of 6" rods(nice but not a must). Get compression up in 13:1 range with good set of heads.Add a roller cam,cheaper when swapping cam choice. Id go for 275 to 280 @.050 and lifts in mi .600's. You should have good power to lite weight ratio and lots of fun. I think 600 to 650 range possible w/o getting stupid. Now you can get more but the cost goes up huge compared to power gains.
If not for having cpl motors sitting here I would go sbc route my self.I have always loved small blocks especailly older version. 283 was first motor I ever worked on .First motor I tore into I was 14.If dad had known how much that was going to cost? I have though about the 327 I have sitting here.New cam,better heads injection and run the heck out of it.Would be a blast.

Bill should be chimming in.He runs sbc in his fed and its pretty bad small block,but Im sure he has lot more info on good combo than some Hemi racer would. Nothing else send him PM.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:39:45 AM »
Car is 7.50, so cant go faster. And i dont want to go that fast to start with either, then i have no achievements to make.
My local track offers the regular classes, Pro ET, Super Pro ET, Super classes, Comp, etc... But also the Vintage club are allowed, and as far as i know they race in their own class, but i guess thats if there are cars to run. If only one or few cars, they probably dont run vintage class (Kjell/Sidewinder knows).

Looks like it have to be alco injected, thats what i have been thinking most of also... Just have to start somewhere.
How about block? Will a stock refreshed block do the job? You say steel ccrank, you mean a forged type?
I think i will try to find something that is already built, depends a little on time and money. Or maybe an assembled shortblock. Any idea how much i should put into it ($) to have something safe for lets say 40 runs? (thats about the maximum i can get in a summer i think)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
Block . Depend on goals. If just going with good hop up and staying around 600 hp then a stock block with machine is not bad choice.If you thank you may want to go stronger motor later a after makret block is good investment. Buying once cheaper than buying and then buying another. Forged yes not optional in my opion. Bill Mitchel as well as lots of others have good piece's. The cost is not much more than buying all of the same parts and building and some times they are cheaper.
I am firm beiliever in spend little extra now and save you lots later theory.

You might want to check roush racing parts they buy alot of nascar stuff that has little to not run time and great pirces.A few have bought from them and said best deals the ever got. I do not have exact web site will have to research.These are very high dollar motors and one guy told me he figured he paid about 33 cent on the dollar for his and he swapped cams and went racing.
Go on few other web sites also and ask around lots of guys with great info,lots of morons also that everything about nothing and nothing about everything.Drag race results,Sout west JR fuel ass. SWJFA.com are both great avoid yellow bullet 90% a-holes.
 PM Duster Dave he has few contacts in Charolotte area NASCAR central,he might know web site.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »
I have sitting here ready to ship---a Killer 383 that ran 5.20's in a good 180 inch car
It is COMPLETE from oil pan heaters , mag, zoomies with covers, pump , injection etc--T&D rockers on fully ported iron Darts--stock block all forged Scat kit, domes etc--READY to drop in and Go!! $6500 plus shipping--less than 20 runs---ready to have fun--cost double that to build call me!!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
^^^^^ Not a bad deal^^^^^^

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
There you go!

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 05:45:54 PM »
My neighbor had it n a nice car--went blown and parked this unit--it is a killer unit that needs nothing but a flexplate and a car to sit in--stacks are included as well--pro built--ran 5.20s's 1/8th with ease   I already have a spare built for mine and pretty tapped out after buying trailer last month so ..first come first served--can ship east coast $200 west coast $300 range free crate
Thanks!!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:52 PM »
I have sitting here ready to ship---a Killer 383 that ran 5.20's in a good 180 inch car
It is COMPLETE from oil pan heaters , mag, zoomies with covers, pump , injection etc--T&D rockers on fully ported iron Darts--stock block all forged Scat kit, domes etc--READY to drop in and Go!! $6500 plus shipping--less than 20 runs---ready to have fun--cost double that to build call me!!!

^^^ definitelly a good deal.

I built my current engine from scratch (alky SBC 406), mostly with used parts. I probably spent close to that, piece by piece, bid by bid. That was the last engine I built over a stock block (heavily modified block). All that prep labor isn't worth anymore, when there are aftermarket blocks starting at $1.5K. And peace of mind of extra reliability and sturdiness of an aftermarket block is priceless.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:24 AM »
Me and Dave have already talked about that engine, and i think its a good deal  8)
(Dave, you know i will keep in touch with you pr email)

Still wanted to hear some opinions about good/bad choices. Dont wanna rush it yet.

Im getting a few offers in my inbox, thanks a lot. I`ll have a look at them, but so far Daves engine must be one of the best so far.

Offline AF150

• The Devil is in the Details
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.37 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Early Hemi, 365", Blown Alky
  • Your Track: Tulsa Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 200" FED
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 10:59:40 AM »
Injected alcohol is the way to go...runs cool, easy to tune and very forgiving.
My $.02
MB

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »
AF150 ,

Funny how things change, that is exactly th oppisite of what 90% of folks talked to told me when I started running injected alky in 1987. Now most where just local bracket racers.Now old man(Alan Starr) said there whre just stupid and did not know better.   I would say that your advice is worth at least another 98 cent.LOL

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
Injected alcohol is the way to go...runs cool, easy to tune and very forgiving.
My $.02

x2, definitelly.

E85 second best thing for street/strip cars.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »
The engine now in my car is a scraped together unit stock block I call the Craigslist special--used eagle crank, new rods and domes, used Trick Flow street heads, used cam  even the timing set is used--I simply did good machine work--great valve springs with titanium retainers and good rockers--the rest is nothing special--I LOVE this engine--it has run perfectly ( except my Hilborn adventures and learning) and it pulls like a train--very peppy--small as heck 255/260 at 050 600 lift roller and it ran 5.68 first UNtuned pass--I think it will live a good long life
When you compare the fun vs the expense it is tough to spend the extra it takes to go a little faster  Fun Fun Fun keep repeating.....