Author Topic: Shifter  (Read 24373 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Shifter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
PSweeny ,
Call Parks he sales them. I have no issue with someone coping mine but I did get lots of ideas off his and do not fell comfortable giving out design since I did copy his idea.  His is not bad price if you have to go thru figuring out how it works from his lousy pics. :)
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
no problem, I get how it works.  I'd like to buy one, god knows I don't have the time to be making stuff like this from scratch but by the time I ship and pay tax, it's $700 to me.  I'll be using a pro ratchet and developing my own shfter later

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 01:03:19 AM »
Just a thought - is there any reason that the cable from these ratchet style shifters couldn't be replaced with a solid rod and a couple of heim joints?

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 02:32:18 AM »
I'm doing exactly that with my own shifter, should have it finished a week or so, will post some pics

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
Just a thought - is there any reason that the cable from these ratchet style shifters couldn't be replaced with a solid rod and a couple of heim joints?

You could, but other obsticals would crop up
To get the rod straight the shifter would have to so far over to the left that its in the way of your leg

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
In my instance I could mount the mechanism forward of the axle tube on the left under my left calf then make a shift lever leaning over and coming up next to the drive shaft shield directly in front of the diff centre. If that makes sense.

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 02:54:35 PM »
would you be able to get in and out without stepping on it???

Cable is too simple and to have a lever mounted to the shifter down there , the throw would increase so much that you would run out of room in the cockpit
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:04:19 PM by dreracecar »

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
In my instance I could mount the mechanism forward of the axle tube on the left under my left calf then make a shift lever leaning over and coming up next to the drive shaft shield directly in front of the diff centre. If that makes sense.

as bruce says the throw would be huge, at least 6-8" movement up and down the gears.  You'd be better off mounting it off the bottoml left rail and remotely operating the lever via a bellcrank on the bottom rail linked vertically with rods/ rod ends to a cranked lever off the upper rail.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
would you be able to get in and out without stepping on it???

Cable is too simple and to have a lever mounted to the shifter down there , the throw would increase so much that you would run out of room in the cockpit

My shifter was located in the same location I used rods to push pull the shift and reverse lock outs. You can see pics of mine earlier in this thread

dreracecar

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
Same shifter since I built the car in '94, Thats the second cable since new, The Morse red jackets are junk compared to one I had Control Cables build about 12 years ago

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
My situation is this:- I have a shortie 3 speed trans coupled up straight to the pinion and my car is a little short in the back and I have no room. I have a hand brake on the right side and a home made / severely modified Jaguar shifter on top of the drive shaft cover. I can only just reach it. Twice last week it got jammed in reverse so it's time to get rid of it. I dislike the shifters I've seen mounted high on the left side of the cockpit. I have limited room between the drive shaft cover and the steering butterfly so I'm looking for options. I want a shifter that is truly one handed in operation with out any triggers and or levers or anything I have to look for or at at or even think about one bit. There is a Hurst shifter called a Pro-Matic 2 that with out it's cover would fit the bill either on the floor with the longer stick or on the drive shaft cover with a shortened stick (if I can reach it) maybe a shortened and reshaped stick? Thinking out loud. They are a no brainer to operate with one hand, has a reverse lock out and a neutral starter switch. Tell me why this is a  bad idea?
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:19:09 PM by retroboy »

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
See the shifter ball on the right and the aluminum knob on the left bellow the butterfly wheel those activate my shifter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
A nice simple tidy set up. What type of shifter are you using?
Cheers

dreracecar

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »
The same as the one in my picture a B&M ratchet. Instead of a knob, I have a handle that pivots off the rear end housing, Its a straight drop down from the steering wheel to push. only moves 1" and returns back to the same spot every time. A guide tab holds the reverse lock out rod.