Author Topic: Short glide trans mount  (Read 5054 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Short glide trans mount
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:57:02 AM »
not real comfortable hanging a glide off the motor / m'plate, I know the RED guys do it but I feel the rear should have some support as it's a stock case.   I ran a solid rear mount with a full length Reid case in an altered and had no issues.

I'm thinking of making an angled bracket which picks up on maybe 3/4 of the pan bolts which is then triangulated to tabs on the chassis.  The idea is to take out any flex and chatter in the coupler, hence solid mounting it but I could easily get a nylon or urethane bush spun up if there was any benefit ?   This car will prob make 8-10 passes a weekend, maybe 10-12 times a year in brackets.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Short glide trans mount
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »
Phil, let it hang off the mid plate. I have never run a rear mount in my builds with either stock or aftermarket cases and have had zero problems. Although the chassis flex in a dragster or altered should be just about non existent in that area why mount a rigid engine/transmission package at three points and take the chance, especial;ly with a stock case. Not having a cross member at the back of the trans also makes it easier to pull the box--six bellhousing bolts and the shift linkage and it can go out the bottom of the car. Your idea of mounting from the pan rail (I presume that it is a shorty glide with no rear mount) is also overly complex and, again, more work when you want to pull the trans. Vaught's car is 42 out with a shorty making the driveshaft about a foot long and we have had zero problems in almost 10 years of running the car.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:14:39 AM »
20 years of running my car , never had a trans mount and have never cracked a case both stock and aftermarket, Dont try and fix a problem that does not exist

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
good points well made !, one job less  ;D thanks guys

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
Great post. I was thinking about same thing,motor 50 out. Trans style still open.Thats my next big ticket item.  leaving it out works for me one less piece means even less weight.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot