Author Topic: trans issue on my test and tune run  (Read 10588 times)

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 540 BBC/12-71 BLOWER/26%OD/PG TRANS/4;10 GEARS
  • Your Track: GOODTIMES DRAG STRIP
  • Your Vehicle: FUEL ALTERED
trans issue on my test and tune run
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:04:51 PM »
Start from beginning;;;last fall i did a start-up at a car show..had car on stands;;don't remember if was in "n" or "p" not sure but i started car..rap thottle a coupe times,,trans went into gear;;not sure if was in n or p but while running it fell into gear turning the rear tires and as it slowed down could hear noise in trans;;yesterday at my first time with car ran though all gears on warm up;; pits got to staging to do a pass;;had in high gear to to do burnout but car would:not move until real high rpm and barley move..drop into low gear and it moved great then;;did burnout ok in low;;pressed trans break and backed car up;;staged;put into low;;launch car and barely moving car again;;took off and shifted to high gear;;car still barelly rolling i taped on trans brake about half track then all sudden it took off;;what think would be wrong?be another month before can test car again and track 120 miles away;;
"DARK SIDE" AA/fuel altered
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: trans issue on my test and tune run
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »
That does not sound good, check simple things firs, fluid level, shift lever adjustment, drop pan look foe metal?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:11:51 AM »
check you have the right hole on the shift lever arm down at the trans for the shifter you are running, sounds like you are between gears and your movement at the shifter isn't making a complete and equal movement at the trans lever arm. 

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 05:09:03 AM »
check you have the right hole on the shift lever arm down at the trans for the shifter you are running, sounds like you are between gears and your movement at the shifter isn't making a complete and equal movement at the trans lever arm.
Good thought ^ X2
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:18 AM »
Thanks guys for the replys;;going check cable adjustment today and drop pan..if i find shifter adjustment if off and i pull pan and don't find anything bad in pan then think i'd be good with just filling with fresh fluid and correck the cable adjustment OR think i hurt the clutches and need to tear down trans completly???
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »
What is the complete history on the trans---brand new? when was it last serviced/rebuilt? who did the work? whats inside for parts? hows the converter? how did you adjust the shifter? what shifter are you using?

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
When you check your linkage make sure you have all of your detents . Your trans can do some strange things if the spool is not right . I don't know why it took off after pressing the trans brake button but I don't think that was such a good idea . If it's not a pro brake it could lock up . Other than the linkage the only other things you could check with the trans in the car are the band adjustment Tighten the band adjustment screw to 72 in lbs and back it out 3 1/2 to 4 turns and pressure 175 lbs min better to be around 200. Keep us posted . Bill

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:56:38 PM »
it's a pro tree trans brake;;had a racer call me today and he said he had about the same thing happen..his fix was to install a dioard from radio shack between trans soliard and trans button;said it fixed his;;going drop pan and inspect inside it and adjust shifter cable as suggested from everyone,he also said he now pushing trans brake button when he goes to easch position on shifter[so he backs up after his burn out and stops car;;presses TB button and pulls shifter back to N;;press TB button again and movews shifter to 2nd then presses TB button again to bring shifter to low.. 
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 03:18:24 AM »
The trans solenoid used with the right valve body is simply a means of diverting pressure to the reverse gear at the same time as low gear, giving the effect of locking the trans up.  The release of the solenoid disengages reverse gear, sending you off down track. The trans brake does not work in high gear and should NEVER be applied unless stationary.   You press it to reverse because the functionality or selecting reverse is now a combination of the shifter position AND the solenoid.

All the shifter controls is the direction of fluid and therefore the fluid pressures to each gear position. It's therefore critical that the shifter puts the selector in the right gear detent, otherwise you will effectively have multiple valves open in the valve body diverting pressure to multiple gears at once.  It sounds to me that when you are in low at the shifter, you are really between low + high, ie low pressure to the low gear band = no movement of the car, until you rev it enough and produce enough pump pressure to lock up the high gear clutch drum.  When you shift to high at the shifter, you are in high + neutral and therefore bleeding off pressure to the high gear drum which slows the car.

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
TRANS FIXED I BELIEVE;;I'D ADJUSTED CABLE IN PARK;;WHEN I UNDONE SHIFT CABLE[WITH SHIFTER IN LOW GEAR  PG TRANS]I WAS ABLE TO MOVE TRANS ARM ANOTHER 1/4" FORWORD BEFORE I FELT AND HEARD IT GO INTO THE DETENT;;WE ADJUSTED CABLE WHERE I'M ABLE NOW TO PUT SHIFTER IN LOW AND CABLE UNHOOKED AND IT LINES UP PERFECT NOW WITH TRANS LINKAGE;;THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT;;
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV