Author Topic: Chute anchor ?  (Read 4922 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Chute anchor ?
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:06:59 AM »
My digger has a chutepacker body, I've mounted the chute on a sliptube so I can remove and repack it off the car. 

I want to do the same with the chute anchor point, primarily so all I have going through the body is a tube and the whole lot can be removed so the body can come off easily. 

Is it permissible under the regs to have this ?  I'm thinking of a 1" tube off of a horizontal tube between the kidney bars, which accepts the slipjoint assembly, (solid bar internally not tube) with a Grade 8 3/8 bolt through it with only the bolt shank in shear ?

crude diagram

dreracecar

Re: Chute anchor ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:05 AM »
There are no regs that would prevent you from doing it that way. but I would make the section that pulls out(chute attachment) as short as possible and the frame anchor with extra struts as close to the end as you can. Dont want the chute catching a side win and bending the whole shabang into the body

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
thanks Bruce, good point about the leverage on it.  The tube section on the chute attachment in reality is probably going to be 3" long and the stepped (solid) sleeve inside will most likely go the full length.  The piece on the chassis is about 2" and will also double as a push bar mount for cackle events (I say cackle, we're on alky, but a fat pill and retarded ignition should put some flame in the pipes...)

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
Heres an Idea that would do both--- make your tube from the frame come out the body a couple inchs( or whatever metric measurment) and weld a sleeve thru it with a 3/8" (crap 10mm) and machine it back round. Now for the chute attachment you make a shackle with one end bolts thru the tube and the other (with the 1" dia alu spool) the chute tow line. Your push bar just goes over the tube (with the shackle removed) and pins thru the sleeve

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:33:07 AM »
thanks for the suggestion Bruce, will be making it up this week so will post some pic's of the finished set up