Author Topic: What is everyone using for as a gear ratio  (Read 18711 times)

Offline 773077

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.31 @ 181 C/ED
  • Your Engine: Chev mid deck, gas, 380 CI, B/DA
  • Your Track: nhra div 6
  • Your Vehicle: RED
Re: What is everyone using for as a gear ratio
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 07:36:06 AM »
I’m not an FED guy but this seems pretty basic. Sounds like your going to waste a bunch of money, then spend some more. First I would spend the money to put it on an engine dyno to find out what you have for power and torque. There is a big difference between running the motor in a 3000+ lb truck and a 1400 lb dragster. Initially, set the car up to run at it’s maximum potential, you are going run it there at some point in time. If your going to try to use the converter out of your truck, forget it, you won’t be happy. If you ran this motor on the street you are probably talking 10.5:1 compression and maybe 500 hp if it’s well prepped. Rpm wise it’s probably all done between 5800 and 6200. Now that you know what your engine can do you can set the car up to run at maximum potential, determine what maximum rpm the engine will run out the back door, lets say peak HP plus 1000 rpm,, from the number above that’s about 7200 rpm. Next look at tires, what is everyone running. Running a street engine you’ll be on the lower end of the power curve. You have a choice, select the tire based on what power you have or select one that suits your combination in the future. Now select the rear gear. Realize that different manufactures tires grow at different rates. For this exercise lets say the growth is 1.5 inches at 150 mph, add 3” to the diameter of your tire and calculate the circumference of your tire at speed. Manually calculate the rpm out the back door. A good 7” race converter is going slip about 2 ½-3% down track, that’s 250 rpm at speed, subtract that 250 rpm from the 7200 rpm and recompute the rear gear ratio at 6950 rpm. Time for low gear, the more power you have the less gear you need. Ask around, what gears  are they running. To determine a 1st gear launch ratio ( 1st gear ratio x rear gear ratio example 1.96 x 4.11 = 8.05). If you have less power you will have to run more 1st gear, 2nd gear is whatever is available, if you have a choice probably the higher ratio. Don’t worry if its more than everyone else, its based on your power and you are only there for a second. Where to spend the money. Dyno 1st $500-$750, torque converter, you’ll need your dyno sheet for this $1000-$1500, if you can find a good core you can send it back and for about $500 they’ll rework it to your requirement. See if you can find a set of  good used tires that will work $100-$300, Rear gears depending on what is in the car now, you can buy ring gear sets for around $150. Learn how to set up the rearend gears yourself. I don’t know about transmission gear sets but, probably about the same as ring rear sets. Become an expert on changing gears for your combination, its not that difficult. If you haven’t bought the alcohol setup, don’t until your ready to switch. Having said all this, race what you brung and use a rev limiter and chip it down.  Just my $.02   

dreracecar

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 08:20:12 AM »
What has not been said is are you going to run and INDEX class or an OPEN ET? If you are planing to run a comp style/handicapped class you must go with what is described  above,  Being a self proclaimed novice I would think that you are planning to be more of an INDEX/Bracket racer, so all that above info does not help you that much unless you have monies to put into dyno time and for that cost, one could get the gears changed and get some money back from the previous set. Stick a 4.30 in it and learn how to make what YOU have work-- that is your first step into this thing.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »
Mark williams has an online calculator that is very helpful when picking a gear and tire size . 

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
Everyone is not you. Everything is a factor to consider. I would start with a clean sheet and lay it out here or look at some online calculators.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 04:46:51 AM »
I calculate the peak RPM for power which is where I want to be at the finish line from the cam duration specs at .050" I use figures I gleaned from 40 plus years building motors. I gear the car for that. Currently I run a 3.91with 29.5s and am very happy with it. Tach is right where I want it in the eyes.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!