Drag Racing Discussions > Rear Engine Dragsters

RED setup

(1/4) > >>

773077:
Looking for some setup/adjustment guidance for a NA 235” RED. I have some familiarity with the car at a lower HP. New freshened engine (almost together), 380 ci middeck should make about 1025-1050 hp, 600 lbft of torque, peak torque around 8200, trans is a Proflite with 2.09/1.40 gear (thinking maybe a higher 1st gear in the 1.90+ range). Haven’t ordered a converter yet. Would like to keep engine rpms below 10,300 (initially 10,000) out the backdoor. Have  4.71, 4.88, 5.0 and 5.29 rear gears. Have a selection of tires 10.5” -14.5” wide with 101”-103.5” rollout, wheels 10, 11 & 14” wide. Have a long wheely bar, 72 inches (will run initially), but don’t want to use it. Need to determine weight bias, car weight will be 1530 lbs. would appreciate any guidance you might have regarding setup, launch technique and adjustment after run. Have questions about tire size, weight bias, 1st gear, tire pressure, balancing tire width for launch with traction down track. Currently thinking 13.5 to 14.5 tire width with rollout of 101-103.5” and a stiff wall. Does anyone have any information as far as softness of compound comparison between GY D6, Hoosier D06, D07 and MT M5, M8, X8, L8? Any rules of thumb regarding setup and adjustment would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Another old new guy.

masracingtd1167:
Sounds like you bought someones old comp eliminator car . Do you plan on running comp or are you going to bracket race it .you have a lot of horsepower there! I run a lot of old comp eliminator parts on my motor 18 degree heads and a sheet metal manifold and it makes good power . I try to keep the rpm a little lower on mine around 9400 but I still have to keep an eye on the valvetrain springs . pushrods , rockers ect. Post some pictures of your car . Best of luck with it !

dreracecar:
What class do you plan to run? 1/8 or 1/4? what type of rearend Ford or Chry?? Is it blown or carb?? gas or alc?? is the car tagged for AdvET??, are you licensed for AdvET???

773077:
Car is a little dated like me . Originally built by Al Swindahl, backhalfed and narrorrowed by Harry Clack, Front halfed by Brad Hadman and was raced as a C/ed car. Engine originally was a 341 ci  C/A motor with Little Chief  heads, which made good power, it has been stroked to 380 ci to make the weight for B/da class. Have to wait until its off the dyno to make some decisions. I have searched the net looking for articles which might dicuss procedures for setting up the car opposed to running it down the track a dozen times trying to find the sweet spot without shaking the drivers brains out and using up parts, however, I haven't found any yet. I think the car is a bit short for the class and power at 235" but we'll have to see. Probabably start with pieces that  we currently have 5.0 rear gear, 2.09 low with a 1.40 second and 32 or 33 inch by 14-14.5 inch wide tire, put some air in the tires and take some timing out and see what happens. I rember crewing on an A/D 20+ years ago at Bakersfield, we had the about the same power, tightened up the clutch, put a little air in the tires and black tracked the whole 1/4 mile. I don't know if I can get enough weight on the frontend to keep it down on launch and still have enough tire after 60' to get it down the track. Would like to run mid 6.80's at 195+ if there is enough power. Another subject. Has anyone attempted to run radials on a FED or RED car. If so, would like to hear from you.     

masracingtd1167:
Stay away from the radials they will not work very well on a dragster . I would think that the 14 inch tire would be a good place to start .You said that you were going to dyno the motor .After you dyno send a copy of it to whoever you are going to use for a convertor and they should be able to get you close.Leave the wheelie bar on it !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version