Author Topic: New Member Ted Brine  (Read 5208 times)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
New Member Ted Brine
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
I'm posting these for Ted

I had sold the 392 that was in the car a month or so ago to a gentleman in Canada.

We have the new Donovan based engine at machine shop and just waiting on Bill Miller for pistons/rods to balance and finish bore.  It'll be 470", 871 blower, Hilborns and on 80-85% at full tilt.  Chassis is updated to SFI 10-2 and all safety systems are being brought into compliance.  It's been 25 yrs since it's been downt the track so, should be fun.

We "cackled" it at Epping last year after thrashing to get it fired after it's lengthy "hibernation".  This year, we'll be able to do more and smoke the quarter as we did at Goodguy's events years ago.

Should be at Bowling Green too and I have a bunch of pending commitments to run at nostalgia events in PA and OH.

What is your car?  Got any photos as I'm just getting back into this after years and years (decades actually) away.

As we moved forward with improvements, a friend set me up with Spud Miller to go over the mag - he converted from a SM 2 to a SM 5 and that's where I got the info on the website - fun to see the comments etc.  Thank you for helping me with the avatar!

Regards:

Ted

Photos:

Indy - 80's
Pittsburgh Dragway Reunion - Sept. 2014
Current in shop - next to it is my hemi Roadrunner - bought new in 1969 - was record holding B/MP car back then.

Videos (old and new) on You Tube under 134 Fuel Coupe or Ted Brine

Published on Aug 25, 2013 

#134, 1934 Ford fuel coupe - first fire up on nitro in nearly 3 decades at Tri City Raceway, Hamilton, OH Aug 24, 2013. Blown fuel early Chrysler (same engine but just checked bearings, set valves, magneto etc). Lots of earlier fuel leaks from old lines but, "it's alive" once more - on 75% nitro. Sold car in 1989 and just bought back in July after finding it in Walt Austin's collection in Tacoma. Walt was gracious to sell it back to original builder/owner. Not started in decades and all original as built - exactly as I sold it years ago. Will get it back on track eventually - qtr mile tire smoker as before. Right now - we'll do some "cacklin"!! Ted Brine (owner), Mark Becker (tuning the engine). Car built by Ted Brine/Paul Gold and Ed Quay Racecars in early 80's.

Published on Sep 3, 2013 

#134 AA/Fuel Coupe (1934 Ford 5W coupe) in front of 30,000 fans at Maple Grove's Raceway's 25th anniversary celebration, August 8, 1987 (their 50th was in 2012). As part of the program, the coupe was invited to perform by then track manager, Mike Lewis (announcing in video and later with NHRA and Don Schumacher Racing) as the old drag cars used to run in Maple Grove's early days. In July of 2013, after nearly a 3 yr. search (with help from lots of friends) and 3 decades after being built, the car was located in the collection of famed drag racer, Walt Austin, out in Tacoma, Washington, and he kindly agreed to return it to it's original owner (Ted Brine) & "home" back east in Pennsylvania. The car is a "time warp", not run since then and seldom started in the decades that have passed and is virtually unchanged (albeit a bit of "patina"). It is powered by a Hilborn injected, nitromethane burning and supercharged 1957 Chrysler hemi and retains all the original "period correct" parts from Donovan, Hilborn, Halibrand etc. that were typical of top fuel engines and fuel altereds in the 60's. Ted Brine/Paul Gold and Ed Quay Racecars built the car in the early 80's at the beginning of the "nostalgia" trend and it was able to "smoke 'em in" for the quarter" at will and could run easily in the 8's at 170 mph+ - with the tires lit up the entire trip! It will be displayed and "cackled" at Epping, NH for the Sept, 2013 Nostalgia Nationals. Future plans will be to update the car and return it to 1/4 mile exhibitions.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:38:05 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline JeffV8

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Quaker city
  • Your Vehicle: 164" Woody Gilmore Flexie
Re: New Member Ted Brine
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:53:56 AM »
Welcome Ted. Didn't I give you some front engine dragster business cards at the world of wheels??