Author Topic: toe in adjustment and ride height change  (Read 5402 times)

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 540 BBC/12-71 BLOWER/26%OD/PG TRANS/4;10 GEARS
  • Your Track: GOODTIMES DRAG STRIP
  • Your Vehicle: FUEL ALTERED
toe in adjustment and ride height change
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »
WHAT SHOULD I SET MY TOE IN TO ON MY fuel altered?..has M/W spindles if that makes a differance.ALSO .after i made my belly pan umder eng. i've noticed loading in trailer i scrap pan some loading car;;thinking going with taller front tire to give me a little more ground clearance..will doing this have any effects[pro/cons]on going taller tire?have 24x4.5x15 M/T now;;
"DARK SIDE" AA/fuel altered
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Re: toe in adjustment and ride height change
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:25:48 AM »
 Have you tried raising the front of the trailer? Or a longer ramp? I don't think taller tires will affect much of anything including clearance. Generally toe in is 1/8th to maybe 3/16ths of an inch. Make sure you are pushing out on the front of the tires with the cars weight on them when you measure. They may have a little play and you don't want it turning into toe out going down the track. If you think that little bit of play feels like too much it probably is.

Offline Defiance

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.45 in 1/8th
  • Your Track: Coastal Plains Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 23T Altered
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
Agree that toe should be 1/6 to 1/8 max. Since I have a short wheel base Altered (116 inch) I have the same problem with loading.  The solution is to reduce th angle of the ramp with extensions or lay down some boards on the existing ramp.  I put 2x12 boards under both tires the  length of the ramp.  Problem was solved.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:13:56 AM »
you want the CoG as low as possible in an altered, so I wouldn't consider raising the ride height for this.

I has the same problem, I built two wooden hump / ramps which sat on the trailer and raised the front of the car sufficiently until the lowest point cleared ramp to deck transition.  Nothing fancy, just some ply and 2x4 .