Author Topic: Came across a U-tube of one of our members six cylinder Dragsteres  (Read 11639 times)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Came across a U-tube of one of our members six cylinder Dragsters.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: Came across a U-tube of one of our members six cylinder Dragsteres
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
I wanna know more about Bert's Green Grenade. Couldn't find anything with search. I love the view BTW.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »
I wanna know more about Bert's Green Grenade. Couldn't find anything with search. I love the view BTW.
don

He is a member here "Slantracer" http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=433

Send him a message I'm sure he would like to here from another 6 cylinder racer.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline slantracer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10:70 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Mo-Kan Dragway, Asbury,MO
  • Your Vehicle: 1961 Dodge Lancer slant 6
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »
Dolmetsch

After I sold the '61 Lancer 11 years ago I thought I was done with drag  racing.
The dragster chassis is an eBay special that I bought about 6 years ago. It had olds rear end and sbc motor plates and part of a body. It has a crossspring front spring and you can tell it had a 3 point cage on it. Not sure it had been raced in years but the workmanship on the cage is nice. The car is pretty wide in the shoulder bar area for as old as it is. I put an 8 3/4 in it and had it chromed along with the front axle and spring. I built the body out of aluminum and painted it big flake green.
The aluminum slant 6 was in a mini-rod pulling tractor built in the 70's in eastern Iowa. I bought it in 2005 because it had a Hilborn injection setup on it. The intake serial number 107 sold new in 1969 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The block is filled and the head has been drilled full of holes to make it air cooled. It had a mushroom lifter cam in it and forged pistons.
With this engine in the dragster it weighted 1052 lbs without driver.
It is now getting an iron block and a VS57 supercharger that I hope to have going by august.
Had a chance to get the Lancer back 3 years ago, so I have 2 race cars when at one time I was done.

Mark

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 05:24:19 AM »
Well it is a beautiful car. The wide shoulder can be good. I am 29 1/2 inch at the shoulder so when I made mine I had to give me at least that. Often they ask if they just see the car "why did he build the roll bar so big. Then I show up and they take one look and say "Oh!*" End of discussion. I am very interested in the mushroom tappet cam. I tried to find a set of the old mopar mushroom tappets and would have had Jim Dowell grind me a mushroom grind but never did put it together. Since then I took a different route but am now happy with it. I am in the same boat. I had retired after many successful years with the old reliable project. One thing I had never done was buld a slant six with snowmobile carbs (Tilllotsons) so it was at the top of my automotive bucket list. I built the manifold first then found an engine I had built for  customer who never finished his project and I built the car from scratch. I ran the tillotsons for two years and still have them. They worked fine but starting them was a bear as they have to be primed like your FI. Often I was alone and it was a pain to get in and out just to prime it if it sat too long between running.  Finally I installed a four barrel instead. It worked about the same powerwise.First a Edddy 750 which worked very nicely but it was limited as to how rich I could get it. It was just there with no wiggle room. A local rodder offered me $350 for the carb and I almost broke my arm removing it. (I paid $10 for it and reworked it. Might have had $100 in it.)  It worked so well sometimes I wish I had it back. The last few years I ran it with a flogged 600 DP Holley  and it works well with that too.  I am just finishing a tunnel ram for it from sheet aluminum. It will have a pair of 500 Holley 2BBls
I hope to gain 25 to 35 extra HP with it although I can now spank many of the V8 cars I run against. Last big improvement was a cylinder head I did. I used every trick I knew from my years building race engines and doing cyl head, flowbench work.   I ported in fear I would hit water but somehow never did. The head really helped the car. I run 246 cubes (.156 overbore) Last year an old racing buddy from my past took a picture of me at half track. He used a long range lens and you could see right in the car. I saw to my chagrin I had the brake handle fully applied. I had always kept my hand on it so I would be ready to stop as I am not much of a driver.  I hadn't realized as strange as it sounds I was pushing on the brake . The faster I dove the harder I was pushing. He showed my two other photos where I was doing the same. That was light bulb moment. I started last race to put BOTH hands on the wheel when driving and wow what a difference. One particular car that always wanted to run me at every race got a hard lesson. We used to cross the finish line wheel to wheel. Most of the time I had him by 6 inches to a foot but sometimes he would bite me. Now I am beating him by 1/3 a track at least just by letting go of the brake handle. I even gave him a head start second time last race and still spanked him bad.  I fear we are no longer good friends. I am getting  close to my comfortable limit so I wont do much more to the car. I have had 7 good years running it and am at the stage in life I am slowing down. (64)  Wish you were close by. It would be fun to run two slants. I know you would probably get me however I now race for fun. I don't know what the car runs these days because I now only airfield race. No times no prizes. Apparently you can get your time as they have timers and a cell phone I-phone deal but I am not that hi tech. Don't have a cell phone. It has been several years now since I have had a time ticket. I know though what the carsI am racing run as they tell me. I believe I am getting close to my goal. Anyway thanks for sharing your story. Stay in touch. Again let me say that is a lovely dragster. I like it.
don 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:42:33 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline old28

• 67 years old, Racing For 47+ Years
    • View Profile
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway (Home Of The March Meet)
  • Your Vehicle: 50's Style 6 Cylinder FM Dragster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
slantracer

Was looking at the pass on you tube of your injected slant six dragster. Really nice rail and with a inline 6. Are you running on gas or alcohol? What kind of HP is that setup making?
Do you have some 1/4 mile times with this setup? Thanks, great 6 cylinder dragster.  old28
Build It -- Race It -- Have Fun

Bad Day Of Racing Is Better Than A Day In The Stands