Author Topic: FED Steering question?  (Read 12352 times)

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
FED Steering question?
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
OK guys not trying to start a peeing match with this question :-[ I am undecided between a rack or steering box for my build I have been told that one is better than the other now I ask because I DON"T KNOW :-\ Some say a rack is the wrong ratio for a FED some say a box is too slow and harder to correct if it gets outa shape my junk won't have enough power to get wild (I Hope)

My car will also have a solid front axle if that makes a steering difference?

Flame on I got on heat treated undies ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:21:55 AM by GlennLever »

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: FED Steering question?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:06:46 AM »
Seem's to me that it would be an awful lot of work to make a rack work on a FED . As far as the ratio goes you can change it by going to longer or shorter steering arms .

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
Pretty sure Parks sells rack for feds.Give him a call he will tell you which is best and he will be straight.Hes cool guy and tell it like he sees it.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
Not trying to pee, but I do not see an advantage to the rack and pinion? As said earlier you can change the ratio on either set up and the box is certainly more traditional.  You would have to do some real fab work to get the shaft and ujoints arounf the motor and back in line wouldn't you?
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:53:45 PM »
I'm updating my tired box and I've been researching on this. Both Strange (www.strangeengineering.net) and Pro-werks (www.pro-werks.com) make nice boxes. Rooman (Keith Burgan) has both.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:53 AM »
Although a few people have run rack and pinion deals in FED's (as far back as the mid 60's) it appears that the conventional steering box is a better choice. Getting the shaft for a rack around the motor is a hassle (one 60's car ran it through the valley of the motor between the injector stacks) and as noted it takes some ratio juggling to stop it being too direct.
  The Strange and Flaming River boxes are virtual clones of the SPE (no longer available) which itself was based off the P & S Machine box (still available from Tom Hanna). The Stiletto box has what is probably a better internal mechanical package as Gary Wood always made very nice parts that are well engineered but it is a little bulky compared to the others. The Stiletto product line is now part of Stu Spears' Pro Werks/ Chassis Shop line.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline bud

• Thanks for the Memories
    • View Profile
    • Buds-Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile =7.32
  • Your Engine: SBC
  • Your Track: Closed now MAR. KCIR.
  • Your Vehicle: FED,RMD..
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:00:35 AM »
I don't run a rack I have always run a crosley box and a long pitman arm ( I FAB ) and a single (one piece) drag link and a support arm and has always work for me this is what a Crosley box looks like. from 1959 to now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:26:47 AM by bud »
Bud

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
What about the Corvair box?

Offline Magic Mike Denton

• Denton Arc Race Cars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »
Go with the Strange box. It's for fed/ funny cars. They will make the shaft length custom if you want. Don't run those old junky boxes off of old cars, bad taste.

Offline bud

• Thanks for the Memories
    • View Profile
    • Buds-Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile =7.32
  • Your Engine: SBC
  • Your Track: Closed now MAR. KCIR.
  • Your Vehicle: FED,RMD..
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
Blind Mule :  I have used the Corvair box on the Dragster and on my T Bucket as well but did not care for it on the Dragster so I went back to the crosley Box. This I posted on HAMB last year : I hate to say this but I like what don garlits said in an interview on TV when ask where did he Buy the part they were looking at.
( you know I don't run that store bough junk.) lol
I'm to cheep besides anybody can buy there way out, its the guy that is willing to try to do it on there own . Your going to Fine a lot of nay Sayers and most of them are in Business for them self's. Myself I Have interest in NAPA and also own Gramma Sophie Antiques in Boonville, MO.
So what I am saying Research and make the best design for what it is you need, Be a leader not a follower.

I received this from one of the guy's HAMB :
Crosley steering boxes are a "Ross" unit.....
I used one in my "T" roadster back in 1960....I just sent a very good one with no slop down to Garlits for one of his recreations....

And there is a crosley web site, you can google..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:00:33 AM by bud »
Bud