Author Topic: burn out limiter  (Read 4256 times)

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 540 BBC/12-71 BLOWER/26%OD/PG TRANS/4;10 GEARS
  • Your Track: GOODTIMES DRAG STRIP
  • Your Vehicle: FUEL ALTERED
burn out limiter
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:01:39 AM »
new to the blown alcohol racing..hopping to finnaly take my altered to t&t march 22nd but concern i may over rev eng on my burn-outs so thinking i'd be best to use a burn-out limiter;;is there one out there that will work with my air thottle launch control???or should i sell it and just go plain cable to hat and then i can use the one that good vibreations sells that just clips over cable..hate just keep changing things but trying to make car easier and safer for me to learn to drive it..can't afford broken parts trying to learn to drive it..had a few say just go by feel but they have serval years exprerance over me so comes easy for them to come out of the water at a controlled rpm..i'm used to having to hold line lock and floor the car to get enough heat in slicks with my street driven pro/street cars and been told with the altered i don't want to do a burn out that way and not needed to be done that way because i'm not trying to do a burn out with a 4000lb 400hp street car anymore..
"DARK SIDE" AA/fuel altered
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
Re: burn out limiter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
The altered will be a lot different than your streetcar. First keep the air throttle controller for the launch/run.
The burnout....make sure the starting line water guy has at least 9' of water for the car to travel thru. This will get water on the whole circumference. Don't start the burnout too early...roll up near the start line ...lined up in the spot on the track where you will be staging and then give it about 1/3 throttle to get it spinning and roll out of the throttle as the RPM comes up. This will give you a clean spot for you crew to back you up in. You don't need giant burnouts but you can as you get more comfortable with the throttle.
Launching...
The other big difference is... your street car would just bog if you didn't give it enough throttle.....the altered will shake your teeth out! and be hard on the car.  You need wheel speed to keep the tires from "grabbing" and shaking. I launch my car at 5,000 rpm. and it leaves SMOOTH. If you aren't sure you want to do that then add air to the tire so it has less grip...make a launch ...it may spin...just let off and come around again with less air. Do this until the car leaves well. This is a better way for you to get comfortable with the car leaving. No shaking...No damage...and you are getting some experience.
If your car is exactly like someone else you know and it works well...ask for his setup.
Hope this helps...if not you can call me...send you e-mail/ph.# to mine  ss3raceteam@yahoo.com and I will call you.
Steve 
Steve Walczak