Author Topic: Ford Flathead dragster build  (Read 35989 times)

Offline andrewb

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Woodburn
  • Your Vehicle: Flathead
Ford Flathead dragster build
« on: March 04, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
Now that it’s almost complete I thought I’d post a few pictures of a supercharger manifold I’m working on what seems like forever. I don’t have a machine shop so I cut every piece by hand and spend countless hours on the end of a file. I did have the top plate machined and a local shop do the welding. I’m going to start out running methanol then add nitro into the mix, but I have a long way to go before it’s ready to fire up.

I did find a chassis today for the engine, now to just get my wife to loosen her purse strings.

Andrew

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Ford Flathead dragster build
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »
I will follow with great interest, thanks for posting.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
Nice job Andrew, it looks great!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to fill the block? It looks shiny. Aluminum?

Offline andrewb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:52:24 PM »
Yes, it's filled with aluminum. My father-in-law had two blocks filled 25 years ago. He build one, which is still running, and had this one. If I had to fill another one I'd use epoxy. We fill other blocks with it and it's so much lighter.

Offline andrewb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »
Well, I think I found my chassis. I got a pretty good deal on it and I think the rear wheels are worth more than I paid for setup. I really would like to get it back on the strip and I'm pretty sure I can upgrade it to meet the SFI Spec 2.6A. (7.50 and slower). I know it doesn't need to be, but it is moly. The front rails are butt welded, so I'll modify that and taper them down, add a 5 point cage and a few additional uprights are needed. The Olds rear will have to go and be replaced with an 8 3/4.

Andrew

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
Yes, it's filled with aluminum. My father-in-law had two blocks filled 25 years ago. He build one, which is still running, and had this one. If I had to fill another one I'd use epoxy. We fill other blocks with it and it's so much lighter.

Thanks Andrew. Aluminum block filling is bitchin' old school. I used HardBlok in my SBC 400, man that thing is a heavy paste.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:28 AM »
Hard to tell on my phone but the front wheels look like Borranis to me

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:34 AM »
andrewb – enjoyed seeing your intake pictures.  Modern twist for a fh and maybe less weight.  And “almost complete” always nice to reach a milestone in any project, bit exciting to share accomplishments, good job!  I’m sure your wife already knows you into race cars, continue treating her like princess, she’ll be helping you more than you know.  Maybe buy her a file : )

I saw your other post, you might check with your local race track for their chassis cert/tech day.  If it’s close by and convenient, take it there.  Put on your polite hat and visit with the nhra sfi tech, let him know what you’re doing and show him your chassis.  I’m guessing he’ll be helpful (and won’t charge you the $150).  In about 5-10 minutes, he can provide guidance on the big items of concern, then you can plan and make better decisions.  DF

p.s.  you probably already know, but for fed with fh, usually a conflict with zoomies and top chassis rail.

Offline andrewb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
Hey Denverflatheader,

The only problem my wife has with it is, once it's complete, is I wont be able to spend time at the track working on her's. I married into a drag racing family and her hot rod is a 1967 Cassidy car running an injected nitro 55' Desoto Hemi. Her brothers is an almost identical setup. Here's a pic of them from last year.

I'm a little familiar with the Flathead zoomie issue. My wife ran an injected nitro fl in her car a few years back and there were clearance issues. If this chassis works out I'm pretty sure I'll be modifying the front frame rails. At least step them down in size and at the same time try to accommodate for the exhaust.

I did leave a message with our local inspector to see if I can get him to do a once over on the chassis.

Since you're a flathead guy, here's a picture of the lifters I'll be running. I ended up having to them made and they're out getting polished and DLC coated now. The coating is needed because they are made out of 8620, which is the same material as the cam. I'm really trying to get the rotating weight to a minimum, and the mushroom lifters are 40 grams less that the typical Johnson style adjustable lifters. I can also go with a bit higher lift cam with them.

Pretty much everything with this engine is custom, I even had magnesium bronze valve guides made. I'm just wanting the titanium valves to wear better.

Anyway, I'll be posting pictures of my progress but it may be a year before I'm done.

Andrew

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:28 PM »
Yes Andrew, neat photo!  Hope those hemi’s run in a different class than your fh, probably create a little friction losing to a L-head, although be fun with your family : )   Had to read up on 8620 alloy and DLC, always a good day when I learn something new, found 8620 is between .50-.55 carbon and 4130 is .70 and they can be used interchangeably on some parts.  Your engine got me curious, I agree on less weight, plus helps your valve springs.  The ti valves $$$ compared to ss (cost-benefit analysis).  I’ve seen mushroom style lifters before, never like those and never in a fh.  I’m guessing your plans are to run 8620 cam less bearings to increase lobe/lift, you might achieve over 0.500 (pretty rare for V8 ford fh) maybe prompting your decision for mushroom lifters.  You been studying your engine build for awhile… I think what you doing very cool! Taking your time, smart move. DF

8620 Alloy (from ehow.com)  When the 8620 alloy is properly carburized --- heated to a set temperature and then exposed to an agent containing carbon, a process which adds an extra layer of carbon to the outside of the steel, thereby making it stronger --- it is used to make such machine parts as gears, crankshafts, and gear rings. Carburized 8620 alloy is strong and durable, which is why it is preferred for these parts.

Properties of Diamond-Like Coatings (from azom.com  the a to z of materials)
Amorphous (a-C) and hydrogenated amorphous carbon (a-C:H) films have high hardness, low friction, electrical insulation, chemical inertness, optical transparency, biological compatibility, ability to absorb photons selectively, smoothness, and resistance to wear. For a number of years, these economically and technologically attractive properties have drawn almost unparalleled interest towards these coatings. Carbon films with very high hardness, high resistivity, and dielectric optical properties, are now described as diamond-like carbon or DLC.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »
Andrew now I see you are married into the Floyd's that is a pretty cool chassis you found was it local? Just curious where it was hiding

Offline andrewb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »
Hi Paul,

Ya, Earl saw it years ago sitting in the rafter of a local paint shop. He mentioned it again last week so I headed down to check it out. The only history on it is that they took it as partial payment for a paint job 10 years ago. They were reluctant to sell it but they liked the idea that I would try to get it back on the strip. I'm anxious to start playing with it but until I know that it's a certifiable chassis, it's just sitting in the garage.

Andrew

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
You just missed the chassis cert day at woodburn, but thankfully we now have a guy in portland that is a chassis cert guy since Denbo retired. I assumed Earl found it he has seems to know how to find some cool stuff!

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
Good to see another flathead car,, Tim Jones

Offline andrewb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
You're probably going to see a lot on my engine build for this thread until I can start on my chassis. Well, after 9 months, I now have my completed lifters. The just returned from being DLC coated. While they where at it I also had my wrist pins coated.

Andrew