Author Topic: Battery Placement on a FED  (Read 30139 times)

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Battery Placement on a FED
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »
I just put this small Braille battery in my car. It weighs 17 lbs and has 722 cranking amps . My old battery weighed 38 lbs and was mounted further back in the chassis . I am hoping it will start the car with no assist   

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
thanks for the link.   Wow nice setup on the battery.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline 14DRT

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42
  • Your Track: Fontana
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »

I just put this small Braille battery in my car. It weighs 17 lbs and has 722 cranking amps . My old battery weighed 38 lbs and was mounted further back in the chassis . I am hoping it will start the car with no assist

Very curious if this battery set-up worked out ?
I’m dealing with battery location issues, I don’t mind paying a lot for a battery and charging between rounds or even swapping batteries !
But very curious how well it cranks a high comp eng.
… Oh, BTW, Hello …… I’m New to FED.ORG

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
We put a red top Optima in the nose of our 223" FED. We needed the weight and needed a battery for starting.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/redtop/optima-batteries-8078-109-78-redtop-starting-battery-sideposts-only/

Offline 283

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.53 1/8 mile
  • Your Track: Coles County Dragway USA
  • Your Vehicle: 1959 FED built by local hero Harry Hurst
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 06:02:59 AM »
My battery is mounted in the open behind the seat. But that was easy as it's a K88 style knock off. The tech guy at the local track seemed okay with it's placement.   
You Never Slow Down You Never Grow Old

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 08:17:27 AM »

Very curious if this battery set-up worked out ?
I’m dealing with battery location issues, I don’t mind paying a lot for a battery and charging between rounds or even swapping batteries !
But very curious how well it cranks a high comp eng.
… Oh, BTW, Hello …… I’m New to FED.ORG
                    The Braille battery has worked very well for me . I charge it between rounds and have had no issues with it . My motor has close to 15 to 1 compression and it starts every time . I also run an MSD ignition and an electric trans brake . People tell me that the Will draw too much and I will have low voltage at the end of a run . I went 182 with the car 2 weeks ago so I don't think that it is an issue. Bill   

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:47:06 AM »
With our JrFuel car I'm always looking to save weight, because the rules are 3.5 lbs/ ci, with driver. So we use a remote battery pack, plug-in, prime the injectors, start the car un-plug, head for the water-box. I do use an on-board Lithium-ion light weight 12 amp battery [ one lb] to power the transbrake and RacePak computer. I discovered this one pound battery when we were setting up the chassis for the all iron early Hemi, and looking to cut some weight. We saved 6 pounds by using the Lithium-ion battery, we only charge the battery at the shop, not at the track. Since the battery worked so good for 4 years, I made a remote Lithium-ion battery pack [ two 12 volt batteries in series ] for starting the engine. We need 24 volts to start my 16;1 compression SBC or Hemi, and spin the 20 amp MSD mag fast enough.
The remote start pack weights, with carry case and cables just under 10 lbs [ my crew loves me]. We only charge at the the track after we are done running for the day if we are starting the motor allot looking for some issue.
If you want to see what the remote battery pack looks like check-out my Haydenent.com site. Now if you want to have the option of on-board battery for starting, just keep in mind the 24 volt system only weighs less than 10 #. 
As far as battery placement, put it up front if you need or have ballast on the front end, if not put it under the rear-end for more bite.
I have most guys don't carry enough weight on the front end. I have told guys with problems with the car not going straight to add 20 lb to the front and they went quicker/ faster. Most older dragsters have the motor close to the rear-end [ 36-38"] that's from the rear motor plate to the center of the axles. They were built that way before VHT, looking for more traction. Now some guys have trouble with wheelies, with the older style chassis designs. 
Our JrFueler has a motor location of 48" since 1997.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 06:14:45 AM »
With the 24 volt startup, what had to be done to the starter for it to survive? and how often does the pack need charged?
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 06:18:21 AM »
With the 24 volt startup, what had to be done to the starter for it to survive? and how often does the pack need charged?

on my car we ran a TCI 35110 starter from 1998 to 2011 and the only thing that ever happened was we would need to change the starter drive every three years or so... We did carry a spare but the original starter motor and solenoid lasted.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »

Shouldn't have to do anything. Most starter solenoids are rated for 36 volts already. I've seen less breakage and better starting.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »

Troy, it seems like quality 12V starters are OK to take the beat of 24V in short durations and with enough cooling time between cranking. Can't speak for warranty coverage though.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »
No changes in the starter are required, we use an aftermarket "race" starter, mostly because they are smaller/ lighter. If the starter has the right alignment with the right shims, the starter has lasted for over 6 years with us.
If we started the motor over 10 times in a day, we would charge the batteries at the end of the day while we were working on the car and packing it up into the trailer, just to make sure it was fully charged. Most of the time we just charged the batteries at the shop and it would be good for the weekend.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline 14DRT

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42
  • Your Track: Fontana
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
If only using a small battery for on-board power (not starting) is a Remote Cutoff Switch still required at the rear of the chassis ?

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »
I think you have to have one if you are using an on board battery . I know it wont hut the car off if you run a mag but it will kill electrical power to the rest of the car . I guess to help prevent a fire .