Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 10887 times)

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
Howdy!
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
Thanks Glen, Spud, Roo and everybody else behind this FED forum.

I’m a FED nut from Columbus, IN (originally from Brazil) with just a couple test passes on my nostalgia FED. The biggest lesson I learned so far is: “It’s not as simple as it looks!”… so please be patient with me as I’ll be asking a lot of questions and advices.

The rig is an old 173’ wheelbase FED I bought as a roller in Markle, IN in 2005. Then I slowly built a SBC 406 (mostly from swap meet used parts), topped with a 1963 Hilborn fuel Injector, model 265-C-8C (1"-13/16").

Here’s a couple videos of the first fire up after engine build:

Then the first test passes, in Bean Blossom, IN. A lot of improvisation to make it there, in the last day of the season in 2011:

Then one more test pass in 2012…

As you can see… there’s a lot to be learned!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »
Thanks Glen, Spud, Roo and everybody else behind this FED forum.

I’m a FED nut from Columbus, IN (originally from Brazil) with just a couple test passes on my nostalgia FED. The biggest lesson I learned so far is: “It’s not as simple as it looks!”… so please be patient with me as I’ll be asking a lot of questions and advices.

The rig is an old 173’ wheelbase FED I bought as a roller in Markle, IN in 2005. Then I slowly built a SBC 406 (mostly from swap meet used parts), topped with a 1963 Hilborn fuel Injector, model 265-C-8C (1"-13/16").

Here’s a couple videos of the first fire up after engine build:

Then the first test passes, in Bean Blossom, IN. A lot of improvisation to make it there, in the last day of the season in 2011:

Then one more test pass in 2012…

As you can see… there’s a lot to be learned!

You need a set of wheelie bars! WOW
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »
I do have wheelie bars! But they didn't help... being left in the trailer. The thing is that nobody believed taht the old and dried up  slicks would bite... but yes they did.

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
 :o ;D

Offline longm1958

• Couldn't have done anything without my wife,Becca
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: still building so nothing to report
  • Your Engine: Injected 410" SBF on alky
  • Your Track: Silver Dollar when car is complete
  • Your Vehicle: -----
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »
Last november I was at Don Garlits museum. He told me that FED's were never designed to hook up. Them old slicks did just fine. LOL

Mike L in ga
Mike L in Ga.

Offline Cajuninjector

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50@176
  • Your Engine: SBC 406 Alky Stacked Hilborn
  • Your Track: SWJFA
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED-Wizard Race Cars
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »
I don't see how wheelie bars couldn't help what I saw in that video. Did that bend/break anything?
I found that our car liked to have the wheel about 2-3" off the ground. Any more than that and it would climb to fast and too hard. The higher the wheel, the more momentum it will have when it hits it. That's when you unload the back tires. But every car is different though.
Go Hard or Go Home

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
FED's were never designed to hook up. But then man invented VHT!!! I wish VHT was banned… I miss the near track-length tire smoking…

Anyway… I do hope the wheelie bars can help me. The car came with a nice set of wheelie bars, adjustable spring loaded, the old two-wheel design. I see that new cars are all mono-wheel now…

I may have to add some more weight on the front too, but that makes harder on the front axle/wheels.

My car doesn’t have front suspension, which makes rough landings very hard on the front axle and wheels. There’s asphalt mark in the middle of the front axle, showing that it flexed enough to scrape the track. I wished it had a front suspension…

As for damage, it cracked one wheel hub really bad. It bent the rim a little but it’s repairable. Those are true vintage front wheels. The frame rails are a little sagged on the front section of the car, which I initially thought it was consequence of that pass, but after reviewing pictures it looks like that sagging is older than that. The car itself is 40 years old or so.

I’m not home this week, but as soon as I come home and find time I want to take some pictures and measurements and post a dedicated topic here, looking for suggestions on how to tame my motivated wheelstander.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
 I would say hitting the tire harder after adding or moving weight. I would move  fuel tank and battery to the font axle or as close as you can get. Then anything else you can move to front.  Take wheelie bars out of trailer and bolt them on,sorry couldn't resist. I was told you need close to 300 lbs on front end when car is ready to hit the track. Just my 2 cent worth and I may be over estimating value.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline tylercrawford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:08 AM »
what gear do you have in the rear?

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
Tyler,

Great question. I don't know yet. I bought the car as a complete roller and haven't had a chance to check rear axle ratio yet. It's supposed to have a 1.76 Powerglide on a Coan 4500 RPM converter.

I'd guess the gearing is on the short side. I once launched on top gear and it still had plenty of motivation.

Offline AF150

• The Devil is in the Details
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.37 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Early Hemi, 365", Blown Alky
  • Your Track: Tulsa Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 200" FED
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
Most of these older FEDs were built with a shorty glide and a coupler which means the engine is probably not out from the rear end far enough. Wicked wheelstand machines. With a full length glide
and a Q.D. coupler, this number would be about 42". Since it's not easy to move the engine around,
You might try moving fuel tank, battery, etc as far forward as possible(as mentioned above)and
look into that gear & converter. A loose converter will help control the starting line...I would say
about 5500 along with a 4.30 gear and don't leave on the wood. Transbrake the car about 3000
RPM...let go the button & stab it at the same time. Jus sayin...
MB

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
Garlits was there and a real innovator. Wheelies are a crowd favorite but not a racers favorite when they're that high. Several good suggestions especially the full length trans. Some people run high gear only or a low enough (numerical) ratio to bog the engine just a bit off the line and let it really run out the back door. Less tire, letting it spin just a little can be a good thing too. Good luck and be safe! Allan Faulkner