Author Topic: wheelie bars  (Read 36523 times)

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: wheelie bars
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 05:07:28 AM »
Van, I very sincerely hope you are not a statistic SFI uses to make change. George

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
Van, I very sincerely hope you are not a statistic SFI uses to make change. George

OK George  I have given my idea on a safer way to install wheelie bars,  Why don't I see at least a drawing of your safer idea ?  I do not see two bars directly behind the driver as any safer.  I also hope that your idea doesn't become a statistic.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 10:21:32 AM »
I see the two as lot safer. Odds are if brake they will split and go outward.This would leave me in the middle instead of the bar in the middle of me. JMO aqnd probably worth less then 2 cent.

I am mounting mine with top 2 bars to frame rails right at kidney bars.Hopefully never to break but id something stupid happens and back end hits something and breaks them I figure they will be deflected away from me. I am running lower bar to center bar ,almost to rear end(high chair car) putting it on sam plane as lower frame rails/Using 1 1/8  mainly with sleeving and adjuster on bottom bar. Hoping that after get it tuned and weight where it needs to be I can basically run w/o bars.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
Van, I bought our car with the bars as they are in the picture posted. They are about 5' long. I run them about 2" off the track. I expect the top rails to flex and with that the bars function is more than a travel limiter. In fact I may change the top rails to allow a little more flex. As you can see by the picture ,the car works pretty well when we are on a good track. George

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
I like the idea of the clevis instead of the side saddle mounted rod end, especially pointing at my back.    Thanks for all the input.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline ss4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
my thought would be a plate at least between the 2 seat bars.  similar to a door plate on a roundie round car.

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
my thought would be a plate at least between the 2 seat bars.  similar to a door plate on a roundie round car.

I think you and a few others on here are overthinking this.  Go to a Cackle car show and walk down the row of cars and look at the single bar sticking out used to push the cars around the pits and to push start them. some make tripods but most are just a single bar that may not have any bracing.  Just do a good job on the quality of parts,welding,fasteners, tubing, and you should have nothing to worry about. Weld the tabs directly in line with the bars for max strength. Make the tabs fill the clevis to eliminate bolt shear. My clevisis are huge, do NOT use the little ones made for steering linkage.

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »
Here are some pics of the wheelie bars I made, not saying saying this is how to do it, just that it's how I did it. 2 upper bars, one lower, all 1'' .120 MS DOM, 1/2" bolts at spherical rod end attachment points, left-hand / right-hand threads on the uppers to allow lateral adjustment, double shear everywhere. Two machined side plates at the wheel end, spaced apart by the caster, an aluminium spacer, the upper tube rod ends, (and spacers) and lower tube attachment / spacer blocks flat on the sides and contoured to fit the diameter of the lower bar, which is sandwiched between them, with two 3/8" bolts thru all. Not clearly visible in pics, but the rear side plates have two attachment point options for the upper tubes. Rod ends at both ends of the upper tubes loads them purely in compression, unless a crash situation whacks them sideways or elsewhere. The rear tube upper attachment as shown has the upper tube centerlines passing somewhat above the wheel centerline, the effect is to bow the single lower bar upward when the wheel hits the track. The lower mounting hole for the rear of the upper bars makes the upper tube centerlines pass thru the wheel centerline only slightly above it, so the bow effect is less if the wheel is loaded upward, but it's still somewhat springy.
 I asked a friend of mine who has some involvement with fuel cars and such, what he thought about the design thinking, he said I was overthinking the thing, (I heard that somewhere recently). The whole setup is certainly more clunky and heavy than what fast cars are and have been running, but it was fun to build. And it certainly resists wheelies in a smooth way.
 On the safety side, I completely agree that two upper bars have to be better than one, in the event of backing the thing directly into a wall or something. No one can predict every possible angle of impact, etc., but I think the top-heavy triangle mounting gives me the best chance of not having tubes through my torso or up my... well, ya know...
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 08:01:05 PM »
Better pic, crossbar connecting the upper tubes added since the above pics to resist twisting of the wheel from any side loads. Hope I'm not boring 'Yall.
John
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »
Not at all.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »
I'm designing mine at the moment.  Had the same concerns with a single point up high.  I don't believe I'll ever break a bar or mount on a launch, my concern would be going into the wall backwards. I feel as though in any other form of motorsport something like a suspension upright or an aerofoil etc would be designed to shear in a safe way and detach but I can't figure out how you could apply this safely to a wheelie bar ?

Offline ss4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »
thanks for the detailed posts.  Guess I better get my steel ordered. So mild steel or moly?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
mild steel for trailors and tractors Moly for race cars.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »
C/M .

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »
mild steel for trailors and tractors Moly for race cars.
   Chris You sound just like Frank!!