Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
Intro
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:40:07 AM »
Hello all.
My dame is David Wells, but some of you already know me as H.G. Wells a nickname I picked up while working my way thru school as a mechanic.
Now pushing 50 I learned to wrench as a kid on my older brothers stuff and ended up with a FED after too many street racing incidents and while working for a fuel distributor in OKC selling racing fuel.  While there I arranged sponsorship for several teams from motorcross and dragboats to one JR Fuel car.  I spent a lot of time with that team and endud up building my own JR fuel car back when an 8.50 may get you into the field and everyone was racing for second when Frank and Scott Parks showed up.
I knew I could not spend the money to keep up with that group and instead did just some nostalgia racing untill my move to Amarillo TX.  While looking for a new trailer I ended up with an early 70's RED and a nice BBC stroker motor.  I had a hard time running a car on my own and recruited some help in a young man named Chris Daniel. My thought was he would be my crew, but soon found he could cut a light and weighed 60 pounds less than I did so he became the driver. Then we got stupid and hung an 8:71 on this BBC and stuffed it in my FED and tried to play with a 7.60 index bunch.  While running at a neat little airport/dragstrip in Lubbock TX the car was bent badly in an altercation with a car crossing into our lane.  Todays thought is to front half that chassis and put it back into service, but I know I would be better off building new pipe and not piecing the old stuff back together.  So we are putting the big motor back in the RED but without the huffer just to stay out there and do a little bracket racing. 

So I am glad to be here and learn more, and want to thank Spud (who set up my fuel system and will do my next) and Rooman (who does not know me but has given me great tips over the years as well as helping my driver Chris with his CAD design for our next car) for funding this site.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:47:01 AM by H.G. Wells »
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »