Author Topic: BBC and SBC motorplate question  (Read 6305 times)

Offline longm1958

• Couldn't have done anything without my wife,Becca
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: still building so nothing to report
  • Your Engine: Injected 410" SBF on alky
  • Your Track: Silver Dollar when car is complete
  • Your Vehicle: -----
BBC and SBC motorplate question
« on: December 19, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
I recently bought a rear engine dragster roller that came with the front and mid plates for a BBC. I continually see ads for these dragsters stating that the plates are good for both BBC and SBC. This car had a BBC previously and I am installing a SBC.
Are the plates the same for both? I am told the mid plate is but unsure about the front plate.
Help
Mike L in Ga.

dreracecar

Re: BBC and SBC motorplate question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Front plate completely different between the two.  I have a fixture that can take the BBC holes as a template to the SBC holes and make a new front mount, In order to do this the frame rails MUST be square and paralle to the crank because the SBC is shorter then the BBC

Offline longm1958

• Couldn't have done anything without my wife,Becca
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: still building so nothing to report
  • Your Engine: Injected 410" SBF on alky
  • Your Track: Silver Dollar when car is complete
  • Your Vehicle: -----
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »
dreracecar,
If I install to the engine to the midplate/trans and rearend, shouldn't the crank be level and centered with top framerails if the midplate is the same BBC/SBC? Then cardboard cut out for the front boltholes for front? Utilizing the existing mount for front of engine?
Mike L in Ga.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »
The issue you might have is making sure the couplers line up with out any bind. You can bolt the motor and tranny together through the motorplate and install into chassie.Put somthing under the front of the engine off the lower rails and with a screw jack or shims adjust the front of the engine till the couplers are free (not binding). Install some transfer screws into the SBC waterpump holes and either use the BBC mounts (or make your own) to transfer the new bolt pattern to the plate and trim accordingly.
  My first post was give because without pics its somtimes very hard to come up with the correct responce. The reason for the crank and upper frame rail being paralle was to be able to slide the front mount back (applies to one peice front mounts) without raising or lowering the front of the motor which in turn would put the driveline couplers out of alignment.
  I restored a dragster that was very short coupled , it was rearend to clutch can basicly and although I used a lineup bar to set the engine placement, after it was all said and done, during final assembly with full 392 blown engine weight the frame flexed enough that the couplers bound. I had to pull the lower rear end mounting bolts and rotate (.015) the rear til I could slide the M/F couplers appart and back together and redrill the holes for bigger bolts.