Author Topic: starter and mag switch  (Read 17420 times)

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
Re: starter and mag switch
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
ours is on the right side,  :) just, a thought, check getting out of the car with your suit on 8) that your shifter does not cost you more $$ it did us. can you say pocket -  firesuit do not mix! amanda's new 20 had pockets  :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
What are the thoughts on putting them on the butterfly.  Currently have the trans brake on the right side. Could but on the left.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

dreracecar

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:12:17 AM »
If a car uses a magneto the switch will have to be in the "ON" posission to shut it down and for that reason is why I like using a marine grade push-pull switch that way in the run mode the button is in and no way of bumping it off and have to pull it out to shut things down

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
true but then the down side is the safety shutoff of just slapping it.   6 of 1 I guess.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
Its all about personal preference, my desision was based on the fact that "I" have seen more cars shut off by the driver killing the engine by accident then the driver shuting the motor off during an accident. The switch with a cover is fine and many racers use them.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
When I first started racing I thought it would be a good idea to put my shut off switch on the brake handle . Hit it with my hand by accident and shut the car off . Moved the switch after that .Try to make your stuff easy to reach but not too easy . Once in a while it's a good idea to just sit in your car and just practice what would I do if something went wrong on a run and yes you can make car sounds if you want !!   

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
The only time (blown alc deal) my driver ever touches the switch is when I give him the nod after spinning the starter motor. we always kill the motor by pulling the fuel shutoff and starve the engine

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
"more cars shut off by the driver killing the engine by accident then the driver shuting the motor off during an accident"

Bet that's true. But I set mine up with a T-handle above the butterfly connected to an additional master cutoff switch behind the dash and downstream of the mandatory external one, punch it and it kills everything.
 Rationale being that it might be good to shut off ignition and fuel pump either during/after an event.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....