Author Topic: Clutch Pedal  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Clutch Pedal
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »
Looking into adding the clutch pedal on my dragster and am wondering if a bushed pedal is what I should use or do I need to go with the style like McKinney sales with Torrington bearings to take out all of the unneeded slack?

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Clutch Pedal
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:47:34 AM »
Murf's Torrington deal is nice but Don Long used bushed pedals for a long time and unless you have an unusually heavy clutch and marginal linkage geometry the bushed deal should work OK. Long doubled his aluminum pedal to make a large diameter boss and then bored that to install a bush for the pivot point.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »
9 years of alky funny and dragster and used pedal without either.Was mounted on stud the was thru tube with clutch pedal welded to it.Worked fine. Question how much money do you want to spend and do you need the bearing piece. I'm Sure its nice and super smooth.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
File this under "not nesassary but wouldnt hurt to do it"

One would think that in a big show nitro car with all the clutch dust flying around that the needlebearing in the pivot would keep the action from gumming up and not for handleing load forces or it could be just away for the manuf. to squeeze another $30 out of you.

Roo in all the years I have known Don and have welded his peddles and brake handles,never once have I seen him install bushings or bearings in them so it could be an after thought of another builder/racer using Dons parts. The thing about Dons peddles and handles is that he heat treats them after welding to bring them back to T6 condition which along with adding material to the base gives enuff hardness and surface area that bushings/bearings are not needed.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
Bruce,
        the clutch pedal in my car is bushed and it appears to be original as the anodizing if pretty much intact. I just pulled it off the shelf and had another look and a think about it and as this was originally a three pedal car with the cross shaft maybe it has the big hole to fit the shaft and the bush was added later when it was changed back to a regular clutch pivot. I need to search out my old print pix of the cockpit of the Assassin and see exactly what the three pedal deal looked like.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
The Lee car had the tabs for the 3-peddle deal but dont have any pictures of them running it.

I think you meen the MR LUCKY, the HotRod artical shows it clear enough although the picture is printed backwards
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:04:51 PM by dreracecar »

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
Bruce,
         the photo in Hot Rod is a little pixelated in all 5 copies that I have of the Jan 1970 issue (with the story on my Mr Lucky, later Soapy Sales car).
  At one of the early Bowling Green reunions I took some detail shots of the cockpit of the Assassin which was also a three pedal car (and red anodized too). Jim took the cowl off the car for me so that I could get a better view of the pedals for reference. Now I just need to find those photos. I checked with my connections at Source Interlink (formerly Petersen etc) and they still have not digitized all of the transparencies so the original is not yet available.
  I do know that the car was originally built with a push brake and the chute levers on the left but by the time it hit the track it had a pull brake and the chute levers were on the right.
Roo.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
I appreciate the replies, I assumed a bushed pedal would work for my combination.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
Looking at the pics of pedals I am trying to figure out the geometry needed