Author Topic: tall block  (Read 5487 times)

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
tall block
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
matt,
how do you feel about a bbc tall deck, (stock block) like a 509 for injected front motor DRAGSTER no more than 6700 rpm?
as always thanks for your time! steve m.

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
Re: tall block
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:41:31 PM »
Steve:
 If your shooting for bigger ci. you can do it with a stock deck [9.800"].
The tall deck 427 truck blocks require intake spacers and a taller distributor if your going to use a stock height intake.
It is also a heavy block that will not yield much more cubic inch than a standard deck.
Your question needs more information to get a more complete answer.
We are on a front engine dragster site so I will assume that is the car of choice. ;)
I will throw some things at the wall and see if anything sticks:
1700Lb car/driver - Powerglide and a 5000 stall convertor - 4.30 rear gear and 33" tire.
I would build a .100" over bore 454 engine. [4.350 bore x 4.00" stroke = 475.5cubic inchs.]
A good set of over the counter heads like TrickFlow are a great bargin and make big power.
Camshaft with about 274 / 284* @.050" and 110* Lobe separation.
Stack injectors with alcohol and zoomies.
High 7s or low 8 second runs and no problems.
Put some more info up here and lets see what we can build.
Matt

Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
Hi Matt, Thanks for your response.

Yes this will be for a new front engine dragster that we are building. We currently run a 70's FED and have a stock 350 with stacks/zoomies and ran 33% nitro through it this year.  Ran a 9.32 or something like that. We run 9.50s on just methanol.  We are looking at new motor combinations for our second car.

Basically, we have 3 ways to go. We have a new 385 SBC with good short block to run 50% nitro.  We also have a 427 4 bolt Truck tall block.  Would put in a good bottom end as well for the good ole yeller!

To throw a monkeywrench is the third option. Which is a 6-71 blower setup for both the SBC and BBC.  With the blower it will be injected methanol, no nitro.

I always thought the tall decks were good to make bigger inch motors than the std BBC.  I am not too crazy on boring out blocks that big, (.100) scares me that the cylinder walls are getting awfully thin.

Goal for the new car is into the 8 second zone. nothing too crazy, we just like to go out play and have some fun.

Thanks for your time, truly appreciated.

steve and matt morgan

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
Steve, My BBC was .125 over and filled just below the water pump holes....I would think running any substantial amount of stink would require the same.
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League