Author Topic: New Member from SE Wisconsin  (Read 6160 times)

Offline 30dodgeboy

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 1956 354 Chrysler on gas... for now
  • Your Track: Byron Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 144" FED and a few 67 Coronets
New Member from SE Wisconsin
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:11 PM »
 :D...entering the FED anonymous meeting room... ;D

Hi, I'm AJ

I'm 42 years old and live in SE Wisconsin near Milwaukee. I am a degreed mechanical engineer but don't let that fool you - my hands are dirty more than they are clean.  I honestly do 99-100% of my car work myself.  About the only thing I really can't do is precision engine machine work.  I have been drag racing for 25+ years (basically since I got my drivers license).  20 some years ago I built a street sleeper that weighs 3700#, still runs mid 12's today with the same engine, and yet appears to be the 67 Dodge Coronet that someone's grandma drove.

I also have done a few frame-up builds of late 60's Ford trucks.  Most recent build is my almost finished 79 F250 4WD with a 6BT Cummins under the hood.  It looks like it rolled down the assembly line that way. I have a pretty complete build thread at http://www.fordification.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=963 but this is the most important shot:

Why am I here?  Well, I have got a bad case of speed in my veins and...   I truly have LOVED vintage FED's since I saw my first one ~30 years ago (way before the current nostalgia trend).  I have been accumulating tons of pictures, info, etc for a long time and now have almost all of the parts I need to build my own new yet vintage styled FED.  It will be an early short 120-125" wheelbase with a '56 354 Chrysler powering it.  Since my pockets aren't as deep as I wish, I will have to use a pair of my AFB's on top of the 6-71 instead of the Hilborn that would be much more appropriate.  I bought a 120" unknown chassis with some associated parts and then later an almost complete but crashed 185" MW car that filled in my parts wanted list very nicely.  The MW chassis is hanging above the shorter tan-colored chassis.

While I probably will be lurking on this site mostly, I will contribute positively and accurately what and when I can.  I do the same on the HAMB under the same username.

A few good friends and I organize and put on the Meltdown Drags at Byron Dragway (Rockford, Ill area) which is a 1966 and earlier vintage drag meet.   It is an event that has no trophys, no prize money, and no whining.  Cars must meet the '66 and earlier appearance criteria and be pre-approved / preregistered to be allowed to race.  Preregistration is FREE.  Our next event is July 18-20 of 2014.  The acceptance criteria and event info is on the website at www.meltdowndrags.com and also on Facebook at Meltdown Drags.  Check us out!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:09:42 PM by 30dodgeboy »
2018 Meltdown Drags - July 20-22 Byron, Illinois

Offline 30dodgeboy

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 1956 354 Chrysler on gas... for now
  • Your Track: Byron Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 144" FED and a few 67 Coronets
Re: New Member from SE Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
One more thing... I'm trying to make sure the next generation is infected with the speed bug, too:

"Lemme Drive!"

First time in a FED:

Second time in a friend's car I was repairing:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:57:31 PM by 30dodgeboy »
2018 Meltdown Drags - July 20-22 Byron, Illinois

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
Welcome to the site AJ, nice introduction. I also dig Cummins powerplants, big and small, I like your 6BT installation. Nice FED projects too. Your daughter is precious. I have a 6.5 yrs old boy and a 5.5 yrs old girl and I can say I know the drill.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
I have added the event to the 2014 calender, your is the first event for 2014

http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?topic=667.msg4221#msg4221