Author Topic: enclosed roll cage any tips?  (Read 7056 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
enclosed roll cage any tips?
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »
  Spent 2 days and abour 34 sheet of aluminum and still can not get the rear of cage cover to work out. I thought I had it.Welded it up and then left side came out short of meeting the body. If I get it to fit then the rear is off center.  Decided beed was not cutting it tonight Elijah Craig gets the knod, tomorrows another day.

Rooman if you have any tips for fabrication retard let me know,open to about anything right now.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: enclosed roll cage any tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:34:06 AM »
When I did Glenn's car I made a cardboard template of the basic shape and then cut two blanks (left and right side) a little oversize and after beating them into the basic shape I spring clamped them in place. As I trimmed one side to fit I also trimmed the other the same amount to keep them symmetrical. I also made the top section as a third piece to simplify the contour or each of the parts. Check Glenn's build thread on his car as there should be progress photos there showing how I did it.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
Pretty much what I did but with few alterantes. I made side panels rolled the reardeck ,made sides extend up roll bar so I could tie the top in easily.Then made top  thats  extra long front and rear.
 I then made the rear one piece.Mines little different in its 6 point cage ,has flat across top not as rounded,back is more like rear of 63-67 vette. Its little longer and tapers to a point in rear with rounded sides. My rear deck little wider.  Building for 2 chutes in case of influx of cash.

Guess I'll just sacrifice more aluminum to the race car gods.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »
When I did Glenn's car I made a cardboard template of the basic shape and then cut two blanks (left and right side) a little oversize and after beating them into the basic shape I spring clamped them in place. As I trimmed one side to fit I also trimmed the other the same amount to keep them symmetrical. I also made the top section as a third piece to simplify the contour or each of the parts. Check Glenn's build thread on his car as there should be progress photos there showing how I did it.

Roo

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
Pretty much same deal.I am thinking if  lowered mine it would help,so would bigger shop. Top of my cage with car on jig is about 6'6" or so and hurts sighting things in.

Shooting the phone will help also.Looks like Roomans welding lot better than mine.I can get most of weld to look good but have to use grinder to make some of it look good.

Thanks for  pics Glenn.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »

Getting closer. Just had to back off this part for while and reapproach.