Drag Racing Discussions > Gassers

What did you do on your Gasser TODAY?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dolmetsch:
I have been working on the new steering arms with the proper ackerman for this wheelbase. I installed them today. Need one more arm for the pitman connection and the long tie rod assembly. I start on them bit by bit ten once made install them and the car will be steerable
don

Dolmetsch:
If my rod ends come in today I should have the steering done today or very close. Made the linkage yesterday. Little by little it is coming along.
don

GlennLever:

--- Quote from: Dolmetsch on July 17, 2014, 04:12:43 AM ---If my rod ends come in today I should have the steering done today or very close. Made the linkage yesterday. Little by little it is coming along.
don

--- End quote ---

A little progress each day is all it takes

Dolmetsch:
You are so right Glenn.
I just poke along and it is getting done. As of today I have working steering. I limited the amount so I wont wind up on the roof in a jam.
I may rework the drag link as I am not totally pleased with it but will take the weekend to mull it over and see what I decide. However it steers.
The current plan is to finish all the front end stuff including making the lock nuts , finish cleaning up the axle assembly, then paint it and put it all back into the chassis for the last time. In the back of my mind I am mulling over the engine deal. should I build another Killer, should I use the low mileage 225 I have here with my passive supercharging setup (GM engineering experiment from 1962) or find a GN Buick turbo set up from the early GN days and make it really cook still using a carb and traditional stuff. Should be able to make some serious umgh with that set up seeing as how both the Buick V6 and the slant six were the same cubic inches back in the 60s and close today so the Turbo deal wouldn't know the difference. Have played with Turbos on Slant six before. Back in the day.  A 170 cuber and a Corvair Spyder turbo. Worked very good even though it was a very mild setup.
Here is a photo of its first pass back in the 70s.

Dolmetsch:
Yesterday I took the pistons I am going to use on one of the engines I want to use in the VW. I had to retool the pin holes to fit the slant six pins so  brought them close with an adjustable reamer  then went to a friends automotive machine shop and used his Sunnen hone to finish the fit. Rods are now hung on the pistons. Today , if all goes well I will get the block ready for its .100" overbore. This is a test engine for this combo and so I will be building what I call a Dixie cup motor which I often do when experimenting with a new idea. Minimal expense just to test the idea. If it turns out good then a serious version (forged pistons etc) will be built. Over the years though and surpisingly we have never lost even one of our Dixie cup experimentals. Still it has proven to be a good method for flogging ideas. For example expense so far in $ including the motor and used pistons is $0. I have a stack of custom made cams for the /6 so I will pick one of them that I liked .I have a head with big valves and porting I ran for six ears so will check it over and use it. it has springs and all and is good to go after a quick check . I have three intakes to choose from and a spare set of headers that will fit in the VW. I am hoping for about 280 HP from 230+ cubes
don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version