Drag Racing Discussions > Six Cylinder Drag Vehicles

New 6 cylinder Motor Idea For My SDRA Dragster

(1/3) > >>

old28:
During the off season I want to put together a new motor for my SDRA dragster that has a little Chevy Gen 3 194" motor currently.

I am looking at a Chevy 250 block pour filled to within 1" of the deck, Bored .125 to 4.00 for 327 forged FT pistons, O deck the block, CR about 11.50-11.75, Clay Smith cam about .550/.550, Small chamber 62cc head with sbc 1.87/1.60 valves, After market 4bl intake with a 600 cfm carb. Will run water in 1" of the block and all of the head. This setup will make 266" and I hope 270-280 HP.

Just a note that we can not run slicks in the SDRA dragsters, only 6" DOT street tires so it helps to keep the bottom end power under control and make lots of top end. Dragster runs a PG with 8.8 Mustang traction lock and 3.77 gears.

What say out there, comments and any past experience with this type motor build? This is a home build motor with cost to be reasonable.

Dolmetsch:
I give it two thumbs up. I think your will have no trouble reaching you goal power wise. Have built a few 250s for folks using the old 307 piston trick and they were more then powerful enuf.
Up here a Sr Dragster is a bit different because I built mine and called it that before I knew of your group's but non the less I really can appreciate the FUN factor and appeal of your style cars and of course still believe that 8 cylinders are for people who cant make HP ;>)
Don

masracingtd1167:
Old 28 Looks like a lot of fun ! Nice job building it .

masracingtd1167:
I found this old picture today . This was taken around 1964 . It was our club car for the Dragmasters car club I was 14 at the time

old28:

Dolmetsch -- Ya Don I was going to go the 307/250 way but because of the 11.5-11.75 CR and the 7500 RPM I would like to use forged pistons and I have not been able to find any off the shelf 307 forged pistons. Also I really like to go outside the box and run something that is a little different. I think this motor if it can make 270-280 HP will be able to run with the Chevy 292/ GMC 302/ Ford 300 and even if it can't it will be a heck of a fun ride. Hoping for 11.50-11.75 ET.

masracingtd1167 -- Thanks for the good word, it is like all drag cars (a never ending project).
We are just getting a small group of SDRA dragsters going out on the west coast, 3 in CA, 2 in AZ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version