Author Topic: Mechanical fuel injection  (Read 9059 times)

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
Mechanical fuel injection
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
Hello Spud!
I'm considering changing to an old-school injector setup on my SBC FED, and wondering if you or anyone else is aware of a good source for used stuff including pumps, valves, and the like.  Your business seems oriented towards flowing and setup on customer-owned equipment, and not selling used stuff. I see on your site the EFI setup you're introducing, and it looks awesome, but I'm wanting to go the mechanical route for the challenge, and hopefully not turn the nearly-broken bank into the severely-broken bank. Any recommendations are appreciated.
 My car has a 350, solid lifter, glide, etc.

Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Mechanical fuel injection
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »
I think you will be very happy with mechanical injection . The torque and throttle response are great . If you buy a used unit do yourself a favor and send it to someone like Spud to have it flowed and the right nozzles matched to your combo. I have seen too many guy's install a used mismatched unit on there car and have nothing but trouble . If you do it right the first time you will love it ! Bill   

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »
I may have a hilborn setup for sale. I won't know for sure for at least a few weeks. We have had some interest in our car but no buyer yet.

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
We do have some used/refurbed stuff that we have taken in partial trades and credits. I do have a 2 3/16" Hilborn injector here in very good shape. Some pumps and other stuff as well.

The biggest thing to watch for in buying a used stack setup are the shafts and butterflies. They are almost ALWAYS twisted and in need of replacement due to folks putting the pull, idle stops and return spring on different segments of the assembly. Figure on $225 or so for a pair of new shafts and a set of butterflies and you'll be so much happier getting it setup.

I'd stay away from anything too "antiquey" as many of those setups have been discovered to have issues, no parts available and then been passed on to a new owner OVER and OVER.

Let me know if you need help!

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline longm1958

• Couldn't have done anything without my wife,Becca
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: still building so nothing to report
  • Your Engine: Injected 410" SBF on alky
  • Your Track: Silver Dollar when car is complete
  • Your Vehicle: -----
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »
Spud,
I, just like Janjon, am going to use mechanical injection for the 1st time. But mine is a hat set up on a tunnelram. I had the pump flowed by Donnie Holbrook before he was killed. (RIP Donnie). I don't have nozzles in the hat, but to an adapter plate below the intake right at the head.  410" SB Ford 302 tunnelram to 351W using an Enderle  3 rib Bugcatcher, adapted to trickflow heads. The intake and adapter plate I got from Steve  Lippoldt. (Lippy to most). The hat I already had. I have a Mallory SM III also from Donnie.
Do I need to have the hat/nozzles flowed? I have nozzles in the adapter but ?????
A newby asking probably very silly questions
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:56:18 PM by longm1958 »
Mike L in Ga.

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »

You don't have to have anything flowed...running well is not a requirement :)

On a naturally aspirated setup, all of the nozzles flowing the same is pretty important. The closer they are to each other the better. Nozzle brands and types vary greatly on accuracy/precision out of the box.

You'll be fine to run it the way it is I'm sure. When you start refining things and really want it to run its best, using a set of flow matched nozzles should be one of the first things to go after. A set of 8 Enderle nozzle jets flow matched at 100 PSI with report runs $112 from my shop. That includes the brass and labor.

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
what is the h/p difference between this setup vs a regular hilborn? 

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »
When dealing with Alc, not much difference since you are burn the fuel as a liquid and not a vapor. A tunnle ram just make the balence of tuning eaiser since you have a hat and plenum instead of indivual runners each with their own butterflys that each must be set for optimum performance. Think of it as  eight single cylinder engines trying to run as one vs a single eight cylinder engine running "AS" one.