Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 812084 times)

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #1125 on: December 02, 2022, 02:06:51 PM »
Lake_harley, Yes, Gateway is now WWT Raceway, home was really MAR in Wentzville, but since it is no more.  S&W's plans may not have that box crossbared, but if you ever get a wild and wooly run you'd wish it was.  I had a 68 Woddy Gilmore car that was 165" with the engine still way back (had to run a shorty Glide and cut the couplers down to make it fit. Fun ride much more than the Cadillac I have now.  A friend has a 145" digger with a 32 Bantom body on it, stack injected Chevy, short wheelie bar, sometimes has a mind of its own.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
« Reply #1126 on: December 02, 2022, 07:52:19 PM »
Thanks again. Yes...MAR....I can still hear the ads on AM630 KXOK yelling "SUNDAY! SUNDAY! MAR, where the big one's are!" Yeah, that was in the 60's so I'm probably somewhat giving away my age. ::)

Lynn
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:54:49 PM by lake_harley »

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
« Reply #1127 on: December 05, 2022, 10:00:00 AM »
Google 'Trustart drag racing'

Why? Meaning where this comment come from? Thanks
I am pretty sure somebody said one good reason for being the faster car is the slower car has the first chance to red light, in bracket racing. With the advent of the Trustart in "crosstalk" trees the driver with the worst red light will get the lose ticket, not the first driver to go red.

Maybe that statement got edited out of the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

Gotcha! Completely understand now.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #1128 on: December 13, 2022, 04:26:31 PM »
Google 'Trustart drag racing'

Why? Meaning where this comment come from? Thanks
I am pretty sure somebody said one good reason for being the faster car is the slower car has the first chance to red light, in bracket racing. With the advent of the Trustart in "crosstalk" trees the driver with the worst red light will get the lose ticket, not the first driver to go red.

Maybe that statement got edited out of the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

I made the comment up a couple posts. I've have heard of true start but the track I race at uses Crosstalk but first red still losses.

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: December 29, 2022, 05:54:40 PM »
I finally got my FED up on 4 wheels today. I think for the next couple days it would take plastic surgery to get the smile off my face! All of the "little things" that have gone into building from the ground-up are now worthwhile.

Lynn

Offline Rat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.585 @ 154.55
  • Your Engine: Stack Injected All Iron 392 Chrysler Hemi
  • Your Track: Willowbank Raceway, Queensland, Australia
  • Your Vehicle: Colthup Bros FED
  • General Location: Australia - East Coast
« Reply #1130 on: December 30, 2022, 02:18:48 AM »
 8) Looks great Lynn. It's great when you reach one of those milestones and take a moment to reflect.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #1131 on: January 01, 2023, 03:31:26 PM »
Car looks great can’t wait to see it finished

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #1132 on: May 08, 2023, 06:22:36 AM »
Well in the past week and a half. I made a new gear drive to run mag with fuel pump on opposite side and vacuum pump drive. All running off cam. Changed steering to rack and pinion. Used most of the drag link in the original pos. except where it turns into chassis to pass thru the tank(new welding project dirt aluminum) and mounted R&P  up mid way to allow new tank to be as far foward as possible. So other than 40 to 60 hour maching gear drive and another 20 plus on rack and pinion and new tank. Have not really done anything.LMAO
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 14, 2023, 08:35:57 AM »
I'm computer illiterate so let's see if this video link actually works. Fist time I've tried to post via YouTube.

I did the first running test of the transmission and driveline of my almost completed FED yesterday. 1st automatic transmission I've built in nearly 50 years and it appears to actually work. Hopefully I'll be able to make a few test passes in a couple weeks.

Lynn

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 10:03:10 AM by lake_harley »

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #1134 on: May 14, 2023, 11:48:49 AM »
Looks like good progress to me.
Keep up the push

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 15, 2023, 09:39:56 AM »
Lynn - pretty exciting, I think you should take it for a spin around the block  :) 

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 15, 2023, 06:28:27 PM »
Probably the first on-the-ground trial will be at a Friday evening test-n-tune at one of the local tracks. There's another possibility that I may be able to get into another local track to do some passes in private. That would be my preference. Plan is to make a handful of passes at increasing speeds unless it does something really ignorant at some point. If some "aggressive" but not yet all out passes go well it will probably be blown all apart for paint and final touches. I know it won't be this weekend since I'll be traveling with my wife to visit family, but hoping for the following weekend....Memorial weekend.....I suppose.

Lynn

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 18, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »
My driver came by last evening. We did some carb tweaking, set the idle speed and ignition timing, got the Powerglide fluid level topped off while doing some more in-gear running on jack stands. Things seem ready to go. I made contact with a track that runs on a non-regular basis and think it might work out to have access to it sometime next week for a few 'private" test passes rather than going to the regular track on test-n-tune night. My driver is likely to be out of town with work next week so I guess I will likely have the pleasure of the car's first passes. I guarantee, they will be moderate passes at best!

Lynn

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 18, 2023, 12:58:04 PM »
Lynn - marvelous plan if it works out, having private access to a race track for testing doesn't happen too often.  I've watched your fed build here, got my fingers crossed all goes smoothly for you.  For all of us here in Denver, our local track, Bandimere Speedway is closing down in October (five months away).  It opened in 1958 and John Bandimere Jr. made the Track's closing announcement last month April 21st.  If you have been racing at Bandimere Speedway for the past few years, you have seen the development advancing closer and closer with each passing year.  Bandimere Speedway in located on the west side of Denver near the Town of Morrison, and it is in a beautiful gorgeous setting, right at the foothills leading to the Rocky Mountains, elevation 5800 feet. 

I sure am going to miss Bandimere Speedway.  I raced there my first time on Memorial Day 1974.  It was their 1st High School Drag Race, there was maybe 20-25 of us at that first race.  From our High School, it was me with my Dad's 1967 Camaro RS/SS, and one of my best friends Todd with his Dad's 1969 GTO convertible.  And after all these years, both Todd and I still have our High School cars.  Over the years, their High School Drag Race grew and grew, and likewise, Bandimere Speedway grew and grew and got better and better each year with plenty of racing classes and events including an NHRA National Race to attract everyone.  Lots of fun times there.  Alan

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #1139 on: May 18, 2023, 02:55:23 PM »
Did the thing I do most. Spent more money on it.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot