Author Topic: specs for wing on FED  (Read 23904 times)

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile
  • Your Track: ARP
  • Your Vehicle: scrounging parts
Re: specs for wing on FED
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 08:52:57 AM »
I like the innovation of it. Can't wait to see the final product.

Ken

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
Most of the handling problems with my car are the rear tend's to walk around on the top end . The 12 inch tires don't help either . I think if you don't have it too far back it should be ok. NHRA makes all gas dragsters and econo dragsters run a rear wing . It has helped those cars a lot . Before the wing rule a lot of those cars were crashing especially the B/ED cars very light and small tires

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »
Right now the setup is 29" from front edge of wing to back of cage and its 26" above cage. I can come foward I could not go higher if wanted to according to rules for wing on alky dragster and probably fuel.Although no ru;e for having oner on FED I figure if I build to spec I have better chance of getting to run it at event.If not allowe its 4   3/8 bolts to remove it. wing will be 40"x 12 to 14" the cord width is 2",I have a pattern thats 1.5" thick which I like but not sure how much down force it would have with shorter bottom.Since down force comes from the air seperating at front and the bottom has to move faster to rejoin the air on to suface at rear of wing.It would seem a shorter bottom surface would have less downforce,but also less drag.

Struts seem to be little over 60" and 15 -3/8 spread since it was common on lot of aftermarket wings.Only need about 16' of airfoil and at prices Ive been getting that 400 bucks ,so I will set everything up but actual wing on car for run will be one of the last items done. Lots of things more pushing.Building everything except struts and will have mounts ready. So far coost will be the aluminum skin have rest of it here. Yea might seem stupid to be working on it,but have to get anything I can done and with little to no cost right now.The stuff that cost  gets moved down on list.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
you work like I do on my car, the stuff I can't make my self is normally pricey so I figure I can get it later, and if I'm building stuff for the car,, I'm still makeing headway on it, Not having a bunch of money to toss at this car, has made me learn how to do alot of things to keep moving,   Tim Jones

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »
idea od what it will look like with body.Man if you could weld this poster board stuff.Cheap and lite weight.Might seem stupid but Im not Roo Man I have to make patterns from cardboard or in this case poster board then I have idea what it will take sheetmetal wise.

Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
yea Tim anything I get done is progress no matter how small or big.  It takes a idiot to try building a racecar when he has no money,ask me how I know this.

Man this was alot easier when we where making money.It keeps me busy and some what out of trouble.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
idea od what it will look like with body.Man if you could weld this poster board stuff.Cheap and lite weight.Might seem stupid but Im not Roo Man I have to make patterns from cardboard or in this case poster board then I have idea what it will take sheetmetal wise.

For bodies like that I make templates too. LOL
On the subject of the wing itself it should not be too hard to figure out the loading dynamics. If the wing makes 163 lbs of downforce as you suggest and the center of pressure is 4 feet behind the rear axle centerline you can figure out how much ffront downforce/static weight that you need to counteract the rear wing loading and keep the front end on the ground. The drag factor also enters the equation with the wing that high above the rear axle centerline.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »
yea  wing is back more than planned in the above pics. Will have to tighten up back part some so I pull it foward good amount.would like to stay around 30" back.

Since car has to be pulled out to work on rear section and its getting ready to rain again(about everyday lately) beginning to think I live in Seattle washington. No work today on this so back to nose piece and air scoop for tank.   First scoop looks to be to big opening  so back to drawing board.

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »
Only an idiot would build a race car with no money!! Hey that's me!  Lots of people that know me ask how can you build a race car on what you make? I tell them ,well I don't Drink anymore, don't smoke, don't do drugs, and when you guys are going out to eat at lunch time I'm in the shop building stuff I need for the car, while eating a baloney sandwich and when your out to eat dinner or out blowing money on some crap you proablly don't need, I'm at home working on the car, eating frozen pizzas or more baloney sandwichs,, so if you want something enough you'll adjust your life style to get what you want or you'll just sit around wishing you had something,  Tim Jones  BTW all the alum work on my car started as cardboard patterns

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »
Yea Tim card board and poster board lot cheaper than aluminum.

I still have beer in frig and I will eat out once a month or so.Mainly for wife since she works her butt off.I don't eat lunch out most days.I cut a lot of corners.99% of the meat eaten in this house comes from dear hunting.Grow a garden and preserve lots,this year not so much because rain 21  days last month and this month not much better.

Now if I could cut my milk habbit I would have another 100 bucks a month,about gallon a day.Hey I dropped the Monster drinks and thats about 120 a month Im not spending.

Biggest expence here has been dogd latley.had one die 6-10 and cost was around 1800  ttrying to keep her going.The other one now has to have teeth cleaned another 450 this month.This is one thing I will not cheat for my racing.My babies come before me desires or need for speed.

So I understand brother.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Back to wing.

anyone know of formula for figuring how much leverage wing will have with leverage from sitting behind rear axle. I will post question on speed talk also,nothing but engineers and they live for stuff like that.Thought maybe someone here might know also.

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »
Any info on the wing specs , looked around on the net all the info was Top fuel wing down force specs,  numbers wouldn't be even close to what your doing,, you might call murph Mckinny or someone like that,,Tim Jones

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »
I have spec for TA/D wing. From what i found there is no spec for FED w/wing.Most nostalgia does not allow one period. So detachable with some dzus inserts to fill open hole when removed it is. Plus its not pushing and the cost of the streamline tubing means it will be added after cars done and the bugs worked out. That will also allow me to know what effect it has if any performance wise.

99% of my runs around here will be 1/8 and it will be hauling if I can bust 160 mph.I figure motor pretty close to 1000 hp and weight hopefully in 1600 on the line,ok hope less but error on highside will not disappoint me. Not dead nuts prefect but some number running on drag simulator sayd I should be able to get close to 155 mph in the  mid 4.40s which is quiker than I have been aiming for.
 According tob Bill its big issue till closer to 195 to 200 mph range.

Building wing because well have the materials here and almost no cost.It will be here when I'm ready for it. Been working on wing then going over to fiberglass on nose piece. Two projects keeps it interesting.Down side time away from one gives me time to think and that can be dangerous and costly.

Offline raduty

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Beech Bend Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1961 Corvette
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 09:37:53 AM »
How could anyone argue Heritage Series rules over a wing, if it was similar to Garlits big wing on his 1963 Winternationals winning Swamp Rat 5? That is heritage and history. The wing was mounted over the engine. Check with Big at the museum. I'm sure he'd share the mounting points with you.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
yea that would help with driving the finishline enough stuff to look around now.

Admit it would be nostalgic.

Another point is you need at least 1/2 the span of wing away from anything to get best air around wing. that would put wing 24" above injector.