Author Topic: At what speed should you consider adding canard wings to a FED  (Read 11789 times)

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
What is the general rule if there is one for adding canards to a FED. I have only driven 1 FED over 200mph and it was one of Roo's. Our car does not have them at the moment or a front wing for that matter, but we will be going past 200 very soon.
I have all of my safety and fuel equipment as far forward as I can. The first fire bottle is at the front axle with the second immediately behind it. Then my fuel tank and oil tank then the engine which is a cast iron 462 and I can still lift the nose of the car to my hip by myself so the car is very light. Our next block is about 100lbs lighter and is blown fuel. I am making a weight box that will have a drain and shot fill so I can add some weight in front of the front axle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I added pictures in the member section under Supercat FED

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: At what speed should you consider adding canard wings to a FED
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
 I think at 200 its required in top dragster. So IMO it would mot be bad idea to have wing on the car if it can get close to that. Im adding one on my new fed for two reason stablity and I like the look.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
What is the general rule if there is one for adding canards to a FED. I have only driven 1 FED over 200mph and it was one of Roo's. Our car does not have them at the moment or a front wing for that matter, but we will be going past 200 very soon.
I have all of my safety and fuel equipment as far forward as I can. The first fire bottle is at the front axle with the second immediately behind it. Then my fuel tank and oil tank then the engine which is a cast iron 462 and I can still lift the nose of the car to my hip by myself so the car is very light. Our next block is about 100lbs lighter and is blown fuel. I am making a weight box that will have a drain and shot fill so I can add some weight in front of the front axle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I added pictures in the member section under Supercat FED

Person to ask would be Roo, he is here on the forum with his own room
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline MaggiFinn

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: SBC 355-406
  • Your Track: Kvartmiluklubburinn
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »
Any tips on building/attaching the wings?

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
Need more info,  unless you have data recording that the rear tires are spinning from half track on, the only reason to have them is to look cool. Any old pics you see with them on were just used to help the air get over the headers and tires, like the mudflaps you see on current RE Top Fuel.

Generaly to mount them is to have a Heavy wall CM tube going thru the entire wing thru the spars and that gets pinned into a socket welded to the frame. you can also add adjustability by adding another thru tube towards the back and the tube going thru plates bolted to the chassie.

I would post pics put all my files seem to be too big

Offline Larry Gocha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:46:03 PM »
Bruce I'd like to see the mounting if you figure out how to post the pictures.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:24:08 AM »
I bought a "kit" from Frank and Scott Parks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:26:17 AM by George »

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
Well we took a break in the racing for a bit to relocate to Florida. Today I finished installing the mag and associated wiring for the signal converter and 2 kill switches.
Last year we ran into a lot of balance/weight distribution and wheel speed issues with the car. The convertor was locking at about 2600rpm and was causing the car to leave soft and then carry the front higher as you went down the track and would unload the rear about 300' out after being on the wheelie bar for about 150' correct and start again.... We ended up putting in flat lead plates just ahead of the front axle. to keep the front down. We also have gone to a 5200-5400rpm 10" convertor to help with the initial power/wheel speed..

What is a better design of front wing for the FED low hammer-head style or the mono-wing above the nose?

I forgot all about this thread with the past years activities :-[

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
The mono wing should be more aerodynamically efficient for the same surface area (provided that it is mounted high enough above the body/frame rails) as it is not affected by air spilling off the sides of the nose. Look at the big show cars--they all run the mono style. Attack angle adjustability is also usually a little simpler with a mono package. Mounting a mono wing off the spill plates also helps as it leaves the critical lower surface smooth and unobstructed.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.