Technical > Spud Miller's Cave

Vertex/Hunt magneto

(1/2) > >>

Sidewinder:
Hello Spud. 
As I have mentioned before in my previous thread, I have a Hunt magneto that the papers said "20 degrees on crank". You helped me a lot as I didn't know I had to add that on my static advance. After testing the dragster, it is abit dead on the starting-line. One person said I would be better off If I had a fixed magneto.
What do you think? And is there a way fore me to take the magneto apart and modify it? Sorry no Magneto service around here:)

Kjell

Spud Miller:

I would agree that unless you have trouble starting the car (kicking back, etc.) then you are better off locked out. If you leave from an idle, the retarded timing that would result could indeed cause a low-power condition off the line.

It's takes a special widget to do the job and a couple of them to do it right. Just the tool to get the body apart will set you back $70 not including the shipping for it.  By that time your mag could be here or at the mag shop of your choice.

Sidewinder:
Thanks Spud:)

I will check how much shipping will be from Norway.
I might be able to borrow another magneto, but I don't think it's any specs on it. Is there any way for me to determine if it's fixed?

Thanks again Spud:)

Kjell

23T Hemmee:

--- Quote from: Spud Miller on July 07, 2013, 02:52:50 PM ---
 It's takes a special widget to do the job and a couple of them to do it right. Just the tool to get the body apart will set you back $70 not including the shipping for it.  By that time your mag could be here or at the mag shop of your choice.

--- End quote ---

You can make one of those with a hollow pushrod and a bench grinder. Grind a little off of each side of the end until you form the two tangs. The hollow of the pushrod slips right over the stud.

Sidewinder:
Do you have a picture Ronny?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version