Author Topic: It's official, I'm going sbc...............  (Read 14210 times)

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: It's official, I'm going sbc...............
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »
My checkbook won't support it but I have seen the the MSD chips in the JR fuel cars. It's above 10,000.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 04:08:41 AM »
I've got a Ford 300 I6 I thought about using, but when the SBC Algon Injection presented itself, well, even though it'll be another sbc setup, it'll be different. 
300 Ford 6: I have built a few of these for racing. They are in my opinion one of the best engines Ford ever built.
Besides 8 cylinders are for people who dont know how to make horsepower (or have fun.)
SBC are like belly buttons. Everyone has one but no one knows why.
I am a Mopar guy but I would encourage you to build the 300. It would take a lot more then an injection and a pair of valve covers to get me to switch. (And I have done lots of SBC too BTW) Cars like the famous Thumper 300 Ford FED which my old boss and friend ran for years after he bought it from the lads in Peterborugh. Folks remember cars like these years, decades even  after the memory of any SBC has fadded( which is usually about 2 hours from the track on a really good day!. ) Nowif you were at heart a Chevy guy that would be different but you arent. You will alway wonder what the 300 would have been like no matter how fast the Chevy goes. As Buddy Hacket used to say in the TV ad. "You dont have to live with pain. "
The 300 can be built sereral ways. Some real inexpensive to the exotic with every imaginable conception in between. Sell the Algon to "someone you dont like" If I was in your shoes I would be looking for a 300 Weber set up although a 4 bbl will give a good account of itself too. Somewhere I have a picture of Thumper.  I will find it. I did all the head work for it when Harry Wilson owned it and worked on  another 300 Ford altered doing the whole engine and set up. Both cars were very successful and popular with the spectators as well. 
Don
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:39:20 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile
  • Your Track: ARP
  • Your Vehicle: scrounging parts
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
Don, my 300 is a 1987 model. I've played with 300's since my first one in '81.

The valve covers and Algon Injection are likely older than I am. I'm thinking the Algon is a '59 model.

The Cherry Burrell pump is beyond a doubt older than I am.

Taking parts older than I am, and giving them life again, means something to me.
Actually, it means alot to me.

I'm taking stuff I saw run as a kid, drooled over in magazines and in the pits, and getting my own chance to do something with it as an adult.

The wife says I get more sentimental with each day I age. Guess there's worse things to be......

I appreciate your comments,

Ken

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Sentimental is fine. I guess you have thought it thru.
I am reaching the point now where I am older then all my parts. That too eventually comes.
Don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!