Author Topic: Angry competitor or Fun at the Drags  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Angry competitor or Fun at the Drags
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »
Runnning a small cube rail is fun. Running a 6 even a bit more perhaps. Where I race I am always the smallest cubes sometimes by about 1/2. We race, for those who arent aware, heads up only. Last race I made three runs with a CM tube frame Austin Bantam powered by an .060 over 460 Ford sporting a tunnel ram and goodies. Like me, he said he was there just for the fun. First two he got me. Passed me at about half way and held on for a win by a good 3 to 4 lengths. I thought nothing of it. I didnt expect to win and was a bit surprised even then that I could at least stay with him and another V8 rail I ran as well. On our last pairing he had a slight brain fart. (Distractred on the start which gave me according to video I have seen about an extra car length leap.) Since I leave on them all anyway it gave me just that wee bit extra that I was able to pull the rabbit out of the hat for an unexpected win. I knew he was upset at the track and stayed clear till the colour drained back out of his cheeks. We have know each other and been friends for about 45 years. Tuesday I heard at the local machine shop he has all his Ford stuff for sale. He was pulling the blown and injected BB CHEVY engine out of his RED and stuffing it in the Bantam. Seemed odd to me as that car has run over 190 in the quarter. I didnt know if it with this particular motor but it is a strong set up regardless. My old boss and friend at the shop told me `Tis all your fault, Dulmage. He didnt like getting spanked that last run !`I was worried that he had fallen off his truck or something. I didnt think he would take it like that. It was after all an accidental win based more on luck and consistancy than just pure performance. So for several days I worried but today I stopped by the same shop and in he came. He began telling me what he was up to. I mentioned it seemed a bit extreme to me. He turned and wagging his finger at me said `That will never happen again EVER! obviously referring to my win on our last run. At that moment I felt releaved. My compassion for his state of mind evaporated. He is fine. Just a bit sore. I reminded him that he didnt really know that for sure and allowed for the possibilty he might have another brainfart someday and the sr dragster would be happy to spank him again.
All is well now. I returned home , went in the shop where the Sr dragster was sitting on the trailer. I gave her a little rub on the valve cover and whispered Good Girl , You done good!
Don
Here we are just after tech that morning. I am sitting in mine behind the Bantam.
Been an interesting week to say the least. :-).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:41:38 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline tylercrawford

• View Profile
Re: Angry competitor or Fun at the Drags
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:42:20 AM »
Always something to doing more with less.

Nice  ;D

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
Yes I guess I like the challenge. Also it is for me affordable.
He was back at it again today. Ordering 20 line and upgrades for transferring the Blown Chevy into the Bantam. Said to me, What do you think of that, when I heard him place the order. Told him I had figured out how to get him again,  last night in my sleep. When he asked I said I guess I am going to have to run you without putting the brakes on. I will finally have to take my hand of the brake handle and let er go. Twas fun. I know if it goes well he will slaughter me. That is fine. I never expected to make this big an impression on him. Meawhile I am going to keep a low profile till race day Sept 28.
Don   
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »
 :P Man I wish you lived closer to me. I'd help you really get his goat.