Author Topic: Wheelie bar, second-guessing myself a bit here..  (Read 13185 times)

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
Wheelie bar, second-guessing myself a bit here..
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
So, single wheel, one lower, two upper tubes. 1" x .094 MS DOM tubing. 5 feet out from the mounting tabs on a 150" WB FED. 1/2"-20 threaded rod ends at the ends of the upper tubes, one end right-hand thread, the other left-hand. This to be able to center the wheel in the tracks of the more forward tires and adjust height also. So the uppers need to be able to be turned independently and together to do this. The single lower bar similarly has the same right-hand rod end mounted to tabs at the front. Problem is, set up like this, you can grab the caster and tweak it a bit one way and the other. And looks like to me, if the car launched a little bit crooked, this steering input would be a bad thing, not a good thing. There has been mention of tying the upper bars together (somehow), and using a McKinney adjuster on the lower bar for height adjustment only, but I still don't have a clear picture of how that whole setup would look. Please see the attached picture, and anyone's thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Thanks, John.
Well he;;, the pic.s too big, try to snedit tomorrow.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Wheelie bar, second-guessing myself a bit here..
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »
My Roo Man built wheelie bar has two fixed upper tubes and one adjustable lower tube for adjusting the wheel height.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:11:58 AM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
Mine same as Glenn's. Not sure what tube he has. Im going with 1.250x.058 wall. I was going 1.125 but was because of material I thought I would have,now that I have to buy I'm stepping up little. Might hit Roo Man up on the 1" thing.Maybe if shorter bars ,if going long (mine are 6') I would be worried about them at 1" tube.Jusy my thoughts.sure Rooman will have better input.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:27:41 AM »
I usually use 1.125 x .058 or 1.25 for the upper bars and 1.125 for the major part of the lower with 1" for the slider to allow the bar to be pinned up higher for towing around the pits. I use a weld clevis at the chassis attachment points and at the bottom I use the McKinney wheel bracket which also has a welded mount for the bar. When I build the bar I run a string down the centerline of the car to locate the wheel. The clevis that I use at the top mount is made for a 1" tube so I weld it to a short stub and then slip that into the 1.25. That allows me to line the wheel up on the string by sliding the main tube on the stub and once it is aligned then I weld the slip joint. On some cars which hit the bar hard I add a cross member about half way between the chassis and the wheel to keep the top tubes from bowing out under load.
My desktop 'puter at the shop has had a modem failure and the laptop that I am using does not have all of my photos loaded on to it so I am unable to post photos at this time. Glenn may have some of the installation on his car.

Roo
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:31:51 AM by rooman »
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Cajuninjector

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50@176
  • Your Engine: SBC 406 Alky Stacked Hilborn
  • Your Track: SWJFA
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED-Wizard Race Cars
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
As far as the wheelie bar steering you at the launch, it can be a major deal. We fought this for a few rounds one time. A friend showed me how to center the wheelie bar wheel with the slicks and the launches were back straight as an arrow. Comp Eliminator class will give you a first hand look into interesting wheelie bar designs and how they work. Pretty cool when they launch at 9000 rpm. Lol
Go Hard or Go Home

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:45 AM »
I usually use 1.125 x .058 or 1.25 for the upper bars and 1.125 for the major part of the lower with 1" for the slider to allow the bar to be pinned up higher for towing around the pits. I use a weld clevis at the chassis attachment points and at the bottom I use the McKinney wheel bracket which also has a welded mount for the bar. When I build the bar I run a string down the centerline of the car to locate the wheel. The clevis that I use at the top mount is made for a 1" tube so I weld it to a short stub and then slip that into the 1.25. That allows me to line the wheel up on the string by sliding the main tube on the stub and once it is aligned then I weld the slip joint. On some cars which hit the bar hard I add a cross member about half way between the chassis and the wheel to keep the top tubes from bowing out under load.
My desktop 'puter at the shop has had a modem failure and the laptop that I am using does not have all of my photos loaded on to it so I am unable to post photos at this time. Glenn may have some of the installation on his car.

Found this one.
Roo

I'll take some pictures next time out at the track, looks like rain this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:52:38 AM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
 All the tubes on mine are .875 od. x .058 chrome moly. The wheel is out about 5' from the mounts. The uppers do bow up some after 10 or 15 runs. Theres a slip tube in the bottom for towing and I have slip tubes in the uppers about a foot long to adjust height. I also have heim joints. There are all right hand but its easy to pull the pin and spin the whole tube. I found with mine if the bar is centered or it doesn't hit the bar solid its headed to the right. I need to offset the wheel about 1.5 in. the the left to get it to go straight. I allways thought mine were a little on the light side. But you 1' .094 bars sound a lot beefier than mine.

Offline janjon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:05:51 PM »
Thanks, All, for the replies and input. 'Tis particularly interesting about offsetting to the left... mine has right and left hand threads on the upper bars, so I would be able to move it side to side as well as up/down as necessary. One other question, any opinions about using aluminum rod ends in the upper bars? They will be loaded in compression only. The lower bar has a steel rod end at the front attachment, and double cross-drilled thru-bolted at the rear.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:09:30 PM »
 I dont think I would be comfortable with aluminum ends. I'm barely comfortable with moly ends in mine. Even though they are in compression I would be concerned where the the load is at an angle on the upper mounting point at the chassis.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:19:40 PM »
Im all for saving weight but some times its just better to go little heavier and be safe. Call Frank Parks if theres a safe lite weight piece he has it. Warning he is out spoken and may tell you your nuts.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »
Use C/M.

Offline janjon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
George and wideopen, I'm gonna go with your advice. I would still stand by my statement that the rod ends would be loaded in compression only, and the mounting tabs could be subject to some angular load that might rip them loose, as long as theyre only subject to getting hit on the launch, but crash situations could, I guess, rip things loose and possibly send them spearing through the seat back area and into the driver. That's my concern, anyway. I'm gonna upgrade, for more peace of mind if nothing else...