Author Topic: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug  (Read 85540 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
Hard day at the office! I got all the welding done and first ruff coat of kitty hair on the worst parts on the body. Ran out of kitty hair, body fill and sheet metal all on the same day.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
I have done so much filling and sanding I am tired of it. Still have made a lot of progress.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »
Front part of body is done as far as body work main body work goes. Fenders are rehung for the big job of reviving them. They are now all one piece and have all their bolt holes and flanges but they are tuff. Tomorrow I have to help Mike S fire the Chassis Research style Hemi rail. It has been three years of long hard work so he is getting anxious to hear it roar. I just looked in to see how he was coming. He was bolting the last heqder on when I was there. (Straight zoomies) and has the fuel. Most of the coolant in . Oil in engine and trqns  Has done some oil pump priming and has it at TDC. I hope it goes like clockwork for him.
We shall see.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »
First I made cardboard dams to bolt between the fender and body so I could work right up to it and then remove the fender for final detail. First coat was long fiber filled body filler to give the repair strength and depth. I sanded and redid again. Then sanded and switched to straight filler. I forget who but someone taught me that many years ago. Body work was something I did very little of and hated. Now I find it relaxing and interesting. I have had some tips from friends who are pros. I am surprised I could fix these fenders but can see now they will be strong and look good. Still have a long way to go but now I can see the progress. The fellow and his wife who gave me the body were here Thursday. They were a bit surprised. She took lots of pictures.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2013, 04:21:24 AM »
While all this body work may seem unimportant I will share a bit. I was watching a restoration show. A price was quoted of $115,000.00 to redo an old Lincoln. At first I thought it was nuts but then when they explained the hours of shop labour at $80.00 per hour I understood. I ran my own shops for years and when I retired was getting $47.00 with no complaints. That was 1997 so $80.00 today is not unreasonable. So I sat down and figured out the hours I had in this car so far. Came out as of Friday evening at 165 hours and $566.00 parts and materials so far.  165X80= $13200+$566=$13766.00. Yikes!!!!!!! Bottom line is if I didn't do it myself it would be impossible for me. All of the sudden I am sanding and welding with a new vigor!!!! Yes I know my car even when finished will never be worth that to sell.  Still it was a learning experience for me. I hadn't thought of it quite like that before. Even when I was doing specialty engines I think the most expensive I ever did which is running around Europe at Nurnburg and Lemans was under $7000.00. I probably should have added an extra zero!
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »
I never thought I would get to this point but all major work in front of the doors is done. No welding left up here. Fenders are about 90% done . Now it is just fit together and finish to match. I found a hood tonight at cruise night. Sounds like I can trade what I don't need for a hood. Now it is just fill and sand till it is perfect. Beginning to get the hang of bodywork.
Don

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2013, 06:28:38 PM »
"... Beginning to get the hang of bodywork."

Now... THAT'S humbleness!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
"... Beginning to get the hang of bodywork."

Now... THAT'S humbleness!
For some reason you always get the hang off it at the end of a project?????????
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
This was also a very good day. There is an old song that goes Some Days Are Diamonds, Some Days are Stones.  Today it was Diamonds. It started after breakfast this morning when Mike S and I headed for our secret old wreckers.
Mike needed an NOS starter drive for his Willys starter (54 Chrysler) and I was looking for a set of those old helper springs that go around the shocks. When we got to the fellows shop (he is also a very good and duly licensed Mechanic) He said to me "We were just talking about you." He asked how the project was coming. I told him I needed to try a set of those helper springs and he said "There is an old set on the stack here along the wall." I found them quickly and pulled out my wallet to pay. "I think I will just give them to you" he said. Fine by me. I got home and tried compressing them they were really a bit too springy. I knew if I shortened them they would be stronger. I had calculated previously that something with a combined spring rate of 100lbs per inch would be right. (300lbs total)  I needed 5 inches of at rest spring height to sit the car level. I had figured a free length of about 8 inches would work as a jump off point. So measured them . They were exactly 16 inches long. I  found the middle and cut both in half. I used the end WITHOUT the progressive winding as I new it would be stronger. I jacked the car up and removed my fake springs (4X4 X 5 inch tall wooden blocks) and inserted the springs. I lowered the car and it sat perfect about a 1/2inch higher then before but I am not in it yet so that was fine. I was surprised my calculations had been right on. It was just an idea to find a basic starting point. Actual rear end weight is not that high as much of the rear end weight comes from the differential, rear wheels and slicks and is unsprung weight. I already knew what the frame weighed and had a pretty good idea the body was about the same at that end of the car. Other then me a  bit of aluminum floor there is nothing else putting weight back there. Since I am in the center of the car relative to fore and aft only a portion of my weight will be there as well. Anyway I am in the ball park.
Then after an afternoon with friends at the local car show my wife and I headed off to town for supper.  As we pulled up at a stoplight I spied a chrome 4 inch exhaust stack lying at the curb beside the car. "Grab that dear" I said. Despite her arthritis and age she had it in the car before the light changed green. We pulled around the corner and I put it in the back of her SUV while she cleaned the black soot from her hands with several wet wipes. I now have the pipe for the collectors for this engine.
A final finish to the day some old friends bought our dinner unknown to us for some reason. They were at a table nearby. Some days are diamonds. Really.
Don
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:00:06 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
Upper spring locators welded in. Ladder bar brackets set after determining pinion angle and welded in place. Front legs installed on the old bus seat so it could be moved into position. Tested it which also tests my new springs. ALL is good!
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
I made and tacked in the lower spring pockets or locators. You can also see one of the "Feather Links" I made. This bolts to the normal Mopar pinion snubber bolt with a 8 inch length of 3/16" flatbar which is welded to a length of 1/2" .120" wall tubing which has a 1/2heim joint attached at the far end. That end fits into  double bracket on the ladder bar. This prevents any lateral movement of the rear end while allowing full suspension operation. There is one bar per side of course. My design as far as I know.
Don
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:29:27 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
I made the other side link today. I like the design. Suspension still has full flex but rear end is positively located by the triangulated "featherlinks" which have enuf flex to allow suspension to remain "live". I have had a steady procession of people stopping by to look at the project. Seems to be a lot more interest then I would have thought. So many visitors I am not getting enuf done.
Don
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:36:12 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »
An old friend was cleaning out his garage today and found a set of Mooneyes headlights from his old gasser project. He donated them to mine. A few minutes of measuring and trimming and here they are. He also gave me a set of old but excellant condition oil shocks which are perfect for there rear of this gasser.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
Scored asset of pistons yesterday that will work in the slant six. Good oversize and large increase in compression. I made up a tool to convert them to the slant six. Got two ruf tooled as we speaK.
Don

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2013, 07:14:47 AM »
LOTS of progress!
Glenn R. Lever