Author Topic: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug  (Read 85503 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
I asked Mrs D about redneck seat upholstery. Got a yes! Ever since Stacey David talked about her doing the Sr Dragster upholstery on his Gearz show she has been content to help.
Don
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:34:33 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
I asked Mrs D about redneck seat upholstery. Got a yes! Ever since Stacey David talked about her doing the Sr Dragster upholstery on his Gearz show she has been content to help.
Don
Was that on a greaz show, my son was on the show when he went this last time to the Hot Rod Institute. He was a student there at the time, he was in three different sceans
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2013, 05:24:32 AM »
Small world. Yes it was at the end of Knucklebuster episode. Stacy Emailed me and said it is now on You tube . The whole Knucklebuster episode and the what are you workin on? segment.
Kinda wierd how it got there. I had emailed him when he left trucks to say we missed him. His show was always interesting and free of inuendos (IE Truck U) My wife would come and watch and laugh as he did his fun stuff. He had no show then but on his web page was a whats in your garage or something. I had the Sr Dragster started and in tube frame only I think so I sent a jpeg. . When the Gearz show came up his producer emailed and said Stacy wanted pictures taken this way and that and a short description. So I obliged. Didnt think anything would happen but about a year later I got an email saying you better be watching saturday morning. Was kind of neat we thought. He pronouced my name Duelmayche (It is pronounced DULL May che)but Ill live. He said "look what this old guy built." Kinda funny because I think him and I are the same age. Anyway it made many folks here angry since the cars they "bought" are much nicer I am sure. On reruns I have had emails from folks who know me from Georgia and even California. Even my former baby sitter from the fifties saw it and told her hubby who knew me back then but hadnt seen me since I was 9 years old that is the Don we know. He was sure she was wrong but she hunted me down and asked.
Now we are losing all those shows. Why I have no idea.
Don
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:26:29 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2013, 06:08:55 AM »
I really like trucks when he was on.

The power block shows have become nothing but ads and bolt ones, Extrem 4X4 is still pretty good., Muscle car died when lou left, struggled with rick. I like Tommy a lot he should be the host
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I sent them a video once when they had thing going to get new folks on.They did contact me.The money was a joke to move that far and the cost of living there would have been big thing.

Now if I had live nearby it wouldn't have been terrible deal. I think they where talking something like 45,000 a year .Not like it would be butt busting work.It was a behind the sceens job,guess I wasn't pretty enough to be in front or camera.Naw had to be they where affraid other guys get jealous of all my female fans. 8)
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
Naw had to be they where affraid other guys get jealous of all my female fan
We all have our burdens to bear. ;>). I made a video for Global or i should say they came here and shot it. Steve Sheahan was the producer and camera man. They were trying something and warned me it might not go but were kind enuf to edit and let me flog it. They were trying to change the Dream Car Garage format from rich folks (CarrolShelby etc)to normal folks like most of us.  Didnt fly.  Was fun though.  Hard business. I wrote for a few mags (CP and Canadian Classics) for several years. Wouldnt ever get rich at it. Or "Dont quit yer day job" to say the least.
ANYWAY back in the shop I have been beating on the bug. Welded up the severely rusted front upper quarters and did all but the final body work. Also welded filled and sanded the turn signal holes . Now I have to remove the front fenders and repair the flanges. We are getting there slowly.  Also since the engine wont come free I have to bore it and get some pistons. I poured a bunch of castings a couple of years ago and machined up a single comp ring at 040 over. I pulled it out and layed out the pin height for boring the pin hole. Tis 100 higher in the hole then stock if I bore it here. Only had a .750" end mill so I will wait till I can pick up a .875 " for the ruf bore then finish it on the Sunnen. I made a bunch of these blanks but this is the only one I finshed. I will test fit it then if I like it will set up the piston lathe (converted turret lathe) and make 5 more plus some spares. 
Don
PS, Wreckers just phoned. I have a schoolbus seat. $10 . Said it measures 39 inches which is perfect.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:10:31 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2013, 06:06:01 PM »
Forget that! Went out after supper and checked my cores.Most will finish below stock size so they wont work out. I built these as a learning experience without regard to specific use. They are very close to slant six bore but just by chance. Most will finish up just shy. Are they strong enuf. Yup. Once  I tried for two hours with a large vice and hammer to crack one that came out of the mold with an oclusion. I had to cut it first to get it to crack. It took 2 years to make and refine the steel mold and learn to make and bake the inside core.  I dont feel like going thru that again.  So now to find a good sub piston for this engine.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
Got the bus seat. Did a quick test install. Will work perfectly. After Linda is done making me the trick denim upholstery it will look much better. My creeper subbed in for bum section of seat cushion as thestock ones are too thick (about 5 inches) and it was crap anyway. I will makenew Plywood boards for fastening the upholstery to. Seat are very strong. Back has full steel backing and bum section will soon. Seat sits perfect on Frame kick up for rear suspension . Height is perfect and position about right for driving. Front of my sholder will be just about at the door post which isnt bad. Too hot to work anymore today. Still every inch is progress.
Don
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:25:59 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
Patching rusty fenders and main body panels can wear thin after awhile. I have most of the welding on the drivers side front fenders and main body done. Fortunatley there are only 4 fenders! And 3 are now done!
Don
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:56:58 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »
Weight of the car is up another pound. Burned through a roll of mig wire today. Got a lot done but nothing pretty or photographic. got chided for welding my body patches in completely. Cant help it . Tis in my genes I guess.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
Put in a great day. Drivers side is getting close to finished repair. Put the first skim of kitty hair over it and gave it a quick pass with the the grinder.  Car is very solid up front now. Rod ends arrived this afternoon. I will stop by and pick them up in the morning but will probably see the completion of this sides body work thru before making up the upper front suspension links
Don.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:25:11 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
Don, you're as motivated as a locomotive!

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
I got a lot done on the left side. Basic body repair for this side(welding grinding filing and boarding with 80) is done. I also clean up the inner fender section removing much of the used stuff and welding in patches. I will have to do some prettying up in the engine compartment too but it should be ok. Iime to start the last side. It doesnt look to nice but it has to be done.  I also got my heim joints and began to make the upper links. Here is a trial fit. I use new wheel nuts welded to the tubing for heim joint threads. They are deep , good threads , already tapered for welding so one can get real good penatration. I will pick some up in the morning as I am out of 1/2 inchers at the moment. 
Don
I have been told I am as big as one too!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:28:25 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
made the upper links today. Now caster is adjustable. 1/4 elips are so straight forward I can almost not understand why they are not more popular. This is all that is needed each side. A spring a shock (rules state on shock per sprung wheel.) and an upper link. I first learned about them when KS Pitman first built his 33 Willys. And that is a long time ago now.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
I did some more work on the dr side fender so it could be bolted back on for fitting and further body work. It is solid now and has all its attachment holes repaired. Then I went to work on the front suspension making the sleeves for inside the frame rails so they don't collapse, trimming one side of the shock and bolting the heim joint and shock assembly home with 1/2 gr 8 bolt. I have the safety washer on the heim joint and also on the shock side as well. I will evenutually change these nuts over to selflocknuts as I hate surprises (especially when driving.)
Don
I also have to fire up the lathe and make some thin locknuts
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:37:05 PM by Dolmetsch »