Author Topic: Roo Man what for bare chassis  (Read 7071 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Roo Man what for bare chassis
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »
 Roo man wonder whats best for new chassis to keep rust off especially a long drugout build. Besides building faster.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:50:54 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Zooman

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Willowbank Australia
  • Your Vehicle: injected nitro digger
Re: Roo Man what for bare chassis
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
In Australia we use a product called Innox. It is similar to WD40 but with more lanoline, which is sprayed/wiped on the chassis after rubbing the tubing to a light grey color with very fine grit paper and/or scotch bright pads. The result is great! But it is a tiresome process. Best idea is to get any little kids that like hanging around to do the job. They tend to be wildly enthusiastic about working on a real race car, and their little fingers can get into all the tight corners.

The Innox seems to last a couple of weeks until finger and hand prints start to show up again where crew have been handling the car. I can't believe how much acid must be in the human skin to get through the Innox. And, the more progress you make on the chassis, the more difficult the job becomes due to the profusion of brackets and tabs to be negotiated. However, you'll find the term "labor of love" must have been coined for this work.

Good luck, and enjoy caressing your tubing.
Cheers
Von Zoom

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:52:08 AM »
Regrettably, kids interested in working on race cars seem to be in short supply these days, gaming, tweeting, texting, etc seem to be the activities of choice. They don't even want to drive any more. They have no drive anymore.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »
as the man said in Stripes " Thats a fact Jack". Most kids are just to freaking lazy to do anything that requires the 4 letter word WORK.

There are about 10 kids in nieghborhood that play up and down the street.Never had one ask first thing about racecar and garage door is open most everyday and sometimes all day. Now the fact they are actually outside is a positive thing,At least they got up from video game long enough to do that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:19:26 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
Good old WD40 or the equivalent. Messy but effective. If the tubing is in the natural mill finish it should not take much, and mainly around the weld zones. I Scotchbrite all of my major tubes in the lathe before I bend and/or notch them but my shop is air-conditioned so the Indiana humidity does not cause me too many problems.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
I use Gibbs and a soft grey scotchbrite pad. It will make that chassis shine ;D