Author Topic: which direction to go with FED  (Read 32534 times)

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
Re: which direction to go with FED
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
Or you can run with a group like I'm in Southern Slingshots. We do a mixed bag of events. We have cars that run in the sixes to low tens.  A big portion of our events are "match race "style.  We'll pair up cars that run close in et and do a best 2 out of 3 runs. We do get paid for most of the events as well.  We are working on a format that run based on our best time trial and that's your dial in for the run WITH a no breakout! If you do break out that faster time becomes  your new dial in and so on. We are going to try this at Cecil County this June 9Th. It's a North verses South deal. Should be a lot of fun.

Jim Cummings
Northern Race Coordinator

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 11:01:07 PM »
Jim I had a good friend that was Jimmy Cummings we grew up together I'm in Ala. doubt you are any kin never know :o  Will you guys go back to Silver Dollar in Reynolds Ga. it's about 80 miles from my house I race there some?

Randy!

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »
300 inline six Ford on alky won't be fast but kinda different

Oh you will have fun with that. IMHO best engine Ford ever built. Did a 300 for a friend , now passed away . He ran it in a T bucket for about 10 years and was never out of the top 5 at Shannonville and won it all at least once.
When I worked for Wilsons in the 70s Harry W ran a 300 six in a rail. Even built one with sleeves and 428 pistons. I was elected to do all the head work.
Don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »
Don tell me more about the 300 new to me been a v8 man need direction but not a high dollar piece!

Thanks
   Randy!

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »
All right I feel like the little kid of the class now at a young whipper snapper age of 47. woo hoo.

i didnt have much time to read the posts over morning breakfeast but will come later today when im not busy and reply better ....... but i did see this while skimming ........ im 31 .... im the kid of the class ....

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
"Don tell me more about the 300 new to me been a v8 man need direction but not a high dollar piece!"
About three ways to build them low budget which is what my career was (going fast on less).
First real inexpensive is a 300 block bored .050 using 390 Ford for pistons. You get a bump in compression a gain in cubes BUT the piston weight and pin size is EXACTLY the same.  A good flat tappet cam of around .570" lift and 268@050 (solid) or .545 253 @ .050" hydraulic will give you a decent engine that will not kill itself.
The head needs Chevy 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhausts. (If the ex seats are pounded go to the 1.65 exhausts) Port the head  BUT do not do much on the low side floor where it turns into the valve pocket. there is water too close there for anything more then a quick rub. Use 7/16 screw in studs in place of the stock press ins. (3/8s will become a trouble source to bypass them. ) Use the BB chevy rockers . Cut spring pockets for dual springs to mtch the cam.  Use a four barrel intake and size carb like it was a V8  (If each cyl is 300/6 =50 cubes then a V8 would be 400 cubes) which using Don's Law   requires 400 double = 800 cfm.
Headers should be 38 to 42 inch primary same size as the exhaust valve.
The other two use different pistons. You can use 302 chevy pistons (69 Z28)  but they have almost too much compression or have custom ones made by Ross etc.  Use a good quality head gasket.
This will get you down the track in fine style for a long time. Dont be afraid of the 390 pistons . You wont ever break them . Use good rod bolts. Engine will turn close to or just to 6000 in the traps.
Don
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:29:49 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
Dom thanks I appreciate the info ;)  why does the 302 piston give too much compression I run all my cars on alky this one will be a drunk too ;D I know that a 240 head is what is recomended but with decking or the 390 pistons what compression would it have? I don't have a head you know wher I might locate one I have the shortblock?  Thanks again! If you would rather private message me that's ok!

Randy!

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »
All right I feel like the little kid of the class now at a young whipper snapper age of 47. woo hoo.

i didnt have much time to read the posts over morning breakfeast but will come later today when im not busy and reply better ....... but i did see this while skimming ........ im 31 .... im the kid of the class ....

Well that means Bill has underwear 1  1/2 times as old as you.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
 8)I'm thinking we need to take up a collection and get some folks new underwear!

Offline BCCOWANWEELS

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.60 IN 1/4 MILE
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: BRISTOL "THUNDER VALLEY"
  • Your Vehicle: REPRO LOGGHE BROS F.E.D. DRAGSTERS
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
JUST DO BOTH,WHY NOT ?
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Offline tylercrawford

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »

shoot . . . I've got a year and a half left of my 20s

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
Tyler,

Bill has underwear that where old before you where born.  Wondering what his are made of.

Enjoy the  youth thing dude, it leaves quicker than T/F with screwblower at 125% od and 3 nitrous systems on a perfect track.

I know its hard to believe all the things you hear about one day you wake up and your 50 ,ok 47 close enough to see how fast life goes by.But they are all true.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Flyingdutchmanfc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: T.B.D.
  • Your Engine: Chevy 383 alky
  • Your Track: Indianapolis
  • Your Vehicle: 23T Altered
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
Digger its all going to come down to, HOW MUCH MONEY you want to spend, and HOW MUCH HELP can you get to run the car. I know with my slow rinky dink operation its even something I could never do alone. At least 1 person is needed to get it done unless you are a professional athlete by trade, LOL that you are not. Keep it simple and it can be done with 1 extra person to help, make it a BB blown injected alky operation and its a whole new level of money and help needed.

A realistic minimum of 3 extra people to make that happen smooth, 1 to drive the tow and keep it organized, 2 to start the car and get you in the groove after your burnout. Then comes the money part for the extra maintenance. My wife shot this Wednesday, I am driving up behind in my easy on parts low budget car following A mean blown SBC FED, it ran in the high a 6 second # if I read the board right. I cant find anyone to help with my car so its just me and my wife to make it happen, I made my pass and drove back to the trailer.

Heres the car running, man that thing was mean. Sorry the distance from the line to my wife was far, but the sound is all there.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:09:10 AM by Flyingdutchmanfc »
Live everyday like it were your last, someday it will be.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
I wish that I had known that it was you with the altered. I saw the car but we were a bit shorthanded with the dragster and actually it was just Mark (the owner) and me until just before we ran and then Mark's son arrived with the tow car. We only made the one run which was a 7.04 at 193+. After it wanted to run in the sixes at Bowling Green (on a 7.0 index) the previous weekend we took some timing out of it and did not change the pill despite the fact that the air was 2000 feet worse at IRP. It was real rich on the top end but ran the number that we were looking for.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
I wish that I had known that it was you with the altered. I saw the car but we were a bit shorthanded with the dragster and actually it was just Mark (the owner) and me until just before we ran and then Mark's son arrived with the tow car. We only made the one run which was a 7.04 at 193+. After it wanted to run in the sixes at Bowling Green (on a 7.0 index) the previous weekend we took some timing out of it and did not change the pill despite the fact that the air was 2000 feet worse at IRP. It was real rich on the top end but ran the number that we were looking for.

Roo

I thought that was Mark's, I'm still running his tires and wheels.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/