Author Topic: Set-up for better 60' ?  (Read 31625 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Set-up for better 60' ?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
I have a little 355 injected and I found a Continental 8 inch by accident--was marked 6000 on the box --was behind a monster 18 degree small block big cube so I just knew it would be too loose but it was at a yard sale and near free so i figured WTH
It is by far one of the best drag converters I have ever had--it is loose but...works perfect no matter what RPM I leave at--seems very good in high gear no heat no detectable slip etc  I LOVE that converter--it is sort of like a rubber band--leave at idle perfect! Leave at 4000 and it will flip the car over---As east coat guy we were never exposed to that west coat brand--I figured they all get the parts at the same place so imagined most brands were all about the same but...I LIKE my Continental 8 inch!!!!!!!
The wrong converter can ruin a good drag cars performance faster than anything
I have smallish roller cam 255/260 at 050  600 lift on a 106
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
So I have seen a few talk about weight bias/front to rear weight. Is there a method to setting up a fed weight % front to rear? Or is it trial and error? Sorry kinda new to this and find this interesting.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
I have a little 355 injected and I found a Continental 8 inch by accident--was marked 6000 on the box --was behind a monster 18 degree small block big cube so I just knew it would be too loose but it was at a yard sale and near free so i figured WTH
It is by far one of the best drag converters I have ever had--it is loose but...works perfect no matter what RPM I leave at--seems very good in high gear no heat no detectable slip etc  I LOVE that converter--it is sort of like a rubber band--leave at idle perfect! Leave at 4000 and it will flip the car over---As east coat guy we were never exposed to that west coat brand--I figured they all get the parts at the same place so imagined most brands were all about the same but...I LIKE my Continental 8 inch!!!!!!!
The wrong converter can ruin a good drag cars performance faster than anything
I have smallish roller cam 255/260 at 050  600 lift on a 106

Agree with you on that. Always have had great luck with Continental in door cars. Good to hear. Hope we have the same luck.

dreracecar

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
So I have seen a few talk about weight bias/front to rear weight. Is there a method to setting up a fed weight % front to rear? Or is it trial and error? Sorry kinda new to this and find this interesting.

Its like a blind man playing pool --hit or miss

There are so many variables to consider that for 99.9% of the people out there that once the car is built and tested is usually how it stays. Any changes usually gets applied on the next car

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
Did some testing on Friday night. WOW what a change the convertor made. Track was not in good shape. Picked up in 60'. Sideways on first pass he pedaled it once and went 7.86 right off trailer. made 5 passes and all were very loose. Every pass faster than fed has ever went. Best pass was a 7.80. Had a great time. You get what you pay for in a convertor for sure. And Scott did a xxxx of a driving job. Cut a perfect light .0001! Tried to attach time slips but file was too big.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »
Converter can make a huge change if off a small amount and when they are way off its like whole different car. Good to hear you woke her up some.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:34:44 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »

Its like a blind man playing pool --hit or miss

There are so many variables to consider that for 99.9% of the people out there that once the car is built and tested is usually how it stays. Any changes usually gets applied on the next car

Might be cheaper if I could do that .I always have to look for more.heck if I was .3 a head of the field I would want .2 more and that would only be for that weekend.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot