Author Topic: burn down tubes ?? about lower fram rails  (Read 6635 times)

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
burn down tubes ?? about lower fram rails
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »
i take it there is no rule for drilling the lower frame rails to add burn down hook ups in the lower rails ? im thinking about putting the puke tank out back instead of in the front . and just want to make sure i do it right when installing them into the rails ...... also , how is the inside of the tube blocked so oil doesnt go forward , and then in the back i guess this really isnt an issue since the rear tubes go up .

pics , advice , suggestions are highly appreciated ...

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: burn down tubes ?? about lower fram rails
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »
If I am going to run the puke tubes through the lower frame rail I usually put a freeze plug in the rail a few inches ahead of where I run the vent tube. I also sleeve the rail at that point to add some reinforcement.
This is the tube and sleeve assembly ready to slip over the lower frame rail.

In the case of Glenn's car I left the sleeve loose on the rail until we put the motor in the frame and determined exactly where we were going to run the burndown tubes. You can see them hanging down in this photo.

I then welded the sleeve in place and used a holesaw to open up the rail. With 1.25" burndown tubes a 1.125" holesaw slips right down the tube. If you are doing a retro fit to an existing car the best plan would be to clamshell the rail to create the sleeve.

Roo

Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »
thanks roo . helps alot . i guess the big question is , what does everyone preffer mount the puke tank up front or in the back ? 

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:07:37 AM »
I think in the rear in back of the tires, if for no other reason to keep the tires clean.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/