Author Topic: New Guy love FED but clueless and scaried  (Read 37220 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: New Guy love FED but clueless and scaried
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
I looked at these kits before  I started my build.Looks like I am more than glad I had all of the extra's i wanted and decided that building my own from ground up.Not saying my way is quick,I'm proof thats not so.I do feel I will have better piece when done and at less cost.I think at last count i was at 1600 bucks in chassis and yea thats not counting time.Heck if not building car I would have been modifing Harley again and again anyway.  as for money i would have spent more on Harley.

If not into the fabrication part,which most know I love.I would say buy a used,proven piece and drop a mild 600 or 700 hp motor into it and go play.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Reebs

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Dragway 42
  • Your Vehicle: 70 Buick Skylark
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 08:27:29 AM »
I'm a hobby/weekend weld. I may buy some plans from S and W and building my own. Cost wise I imagine buying a roller is cheaper. But building would be a huge sorce of pride. Keeping my eyes open

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
yes buying used can be cheaper in long run.For me it is matter of cash outlay at one time.For me the word save has always been big time 4 letter word.Too many interest and not enough money. Buying 400 or 500 worth of tubing at one time is easier than dropping 5k at one time. Plus as you stated the pride of I BUILT IT thing,even if its been s u p e r slow!
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Reebs

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Dragway 42
  • Your Vehicle: 70 Buick Skylark
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
Wideopen I agree with everything you said. Down to the too many interest and money

dreracecar

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 12:04:22 PM »
One thing to consider is that for the first time, buying a car will get you to the track quicker. Builds take time to do right, and in the process things come up and add to delays. Are you going to feel the same way or have the funds a year or two from now? Screw pride of building it yourself- nobody cares. its about getting out there and racing.