Author Topic: engine height change effect  (Read 4420 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
engine height change effect
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »
 Wondering how much effect 1.25 inches lower engine will effect chassis handling. Im getting ready to remake rearend  mounting plates. To move rearend back 2". Thinking I could drop it 1.25 inches to allow me to lower engine the same amount. Reworking rear motorplat easy and remaking front motor mount is far from big deal. Little work but if it will help some it would be worth it.

Reason for it is to get motor 2" more out from rear and figureing that while Im doing it i might as well get everything possible.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: engine height change effect
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 04:41:54 AM »
If you move both the rear end and the motor down 1.5" you are really just raising the frame relative to the drive train as tire diameter will determine how high the axle centerline is when the car is on the ground. I normally run the motor level or half a degree down in dragsters.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »
Mine is set for level. One reason Im thinking about it is to get little more ground clearance at rearmotor mount part of rame. Im building oil pan so depth not issue.At current position I could run a 8" pan,dropping it would be same pan as I had on funnycar.I can do same with taller tire but would like to have option of 32 to 36 tire if wanted. Right now frame has 3.2" at motor plate,seems tight to me,especailly with 225" car.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
Well 4 or 5 hours work I have engine down and I think it has to lower center of gravity. the rearend is now down 1 inche and ground clearance at motor plate is right at 4 inches with 32" tire.Plus moveing rear back has engine out at 51.25"(wanted 52 so its pretty close).