Author Topic: We painted the body for the Comp Coupe yesterday  (Read 63016 times)

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: We painted the body for the Comp Coupe yesterady
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 08:47:23 AM »
Tim, chassis and body coming along nicely.  Be easy to load (drive up) and unload with a ramp truck.  A long long time ago, we had a drag strip south of Denver near Castlerock called CDR, your car name reminded me of it.  DF

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Tim, chassis and body coming along nicely.  Be easy to load (drive up) and unload with a ramp truck.  A long long time ago, we had a drag strip south of Denver near Castlerock called CDR, your car name reminded me of it.  DF
  Thanks Alan ,, Funny you call it  CDR that's what the guys at work call my place when they'er not callin it the Cripple Dog Ranch,,   Tim Jones

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »
Got the cab off the ramp truck and slid the 47 cab up on the frame, Not bad for a guy who turns 56 this week, ,,Lots of prying and punishing my back, But it's gonna look cool, Here's a few pics from today,, Tim Jones

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »
Well done Tim, looks very cool.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
That has always been a project I wanted to do, put an old body on a new frame and drive train.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
Cool I like 8)

Randy!

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:51 AM »
Thanks guys, I figured swaping the cab and useing the wireing loom and hardware would be the easier way to have a cool old style ramp truck ,that can still roll down the interstate  at 70 mph or so,, To make mounting the brake booster, slave cylinder, foot feed and a few other items I cut the fire wall out of the 89 and I'm gonna scab onto the 47 fire wall sounds like alot of work but it will make things easier in the end ( I hope),,  Tim Jones

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Here's how the cab swap is going  ,Cab mounted , firewall redone, brakes, clutch slave and foot feet and steering mounted , most of the wireing sorted out, radiator lowered and remounted, Batterys moved to behind cab,extended ramps to center the car better,Truck starts and runs, Storage box/sleeper behind cab done,can enter sleeper through cab, working on mounting seats,

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
Tim, your progress sure is steady.  What you planning for fuel tank?  DF

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
I mounted a 75 gallon fuel tank from one of our old trucks from work on the back, Plus still has the stock tanks, Tim Jones

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »
Good fit.  I have a old friend lives about 130 miles away on acreage with lots of cars/truck parts from years and years.  I check with him first if I need some obscure part, sometimes he got just what I need (like a fuel tank) sometimes not, plus gotta catch up on whats going on.  Topics in rural farm community so much different than big city topics.  Handy to incorporate the crane (hidden too), probably more guys are gonna ask to borrow than you using it : )  Alan     

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Yeah Alan, I'm a scrounger from way back, To tell you the truth I hope I never need to use the engine hoist at the track, but if anyone ever needed to use it all I have to do is pull along side them, Beats breaking your back lifting a motor out of the frame rails ;D,,,,  Tim Jones

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
Well since I didn't hit the lottery the car isn't done this summer, We pulled the motor out after finding a cracked sleeve and while it was out my friend beth and I decided to add some side braces by the trans, We'll also have to change the steering being with the side braces we can't take the trans out the side anymore, here's a few pics of what we have in mind,, Tim Jones

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »
I got the floor put in the truck a few weeks ago ,, also cut some lexan for the front windows to keep some of the rain out til I get glass for it,,

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 03:16:38 AM »
Getting back to the race car, Being I'm useing a ford 3 speed behind my flathead, (Don't laugh I have to try it) and they don't make a scattershield for it, We decided to make our own , here's some pics of building it, We rolled a 6 inch wide piece of 1/4 inch plate steel to start, Our roller at work is a hand roller ,Talk about getting a work out,, I'll post the other pics of building it later,,   And  BTW I know it won't pass nhra specs but I like my feet and felt the need to do something,,, also this is just a nostaliga car buildt just to go out and have a good time with,,,Tim Jones