Author Topic: Driveshaft UJs  (Read 609 times)

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 @ 178 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Big block Chevy, 517ci, 8/71 blower, methanol
  • Your Track: Santa Pod, UK
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T altered "Thundergod"
  • General Location: Yorkshire, England
Driveshaft UJs
« on: May 19, 2023, 02:04:25 PM »
Hi, I'm looking at replacing UJs as I'm fitting a stronger yoke & one is a little worn. They're 1350 style.
The toughest looking ones seem to be the solid steel ones, sold by Jegs & Summit. They list parts by Dana Spicer, Inland Empire & Strange that all look the same. Cheaper from Dana Spicer though.
On Jegs these are:
Dana Spicer 094-5-1350X $24
Inland Empire 537-5-1350X $35
Strange 873-U1641 $38
Our current ones look like these: 890-961350 $56 (complete with red seal band) which have held up well. Maybe I should get them but the others 'look' better quality.

Anyone got opinions on these or recomendations on something better?

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: Driveshaft UJs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 08:57:29 AM »
My dragster uses a coupler, so I'm not at all helpful selecting a manufacture of which 1350 U-joint to choose.  From what I've heard, for racing only, you do not want the greasable 1350 u-joint (weaker and more prone to failing), you want the solid U-joint which is what you are selecting. 

The only other comment is I know they have steel driveshafts, aluminum driveshafts, and carbon fiber which is the lightest, and most expensive.  Lighter is faster.  If you had a new driveshaft made, verify the U-joints are phased to each other correctly.