Author Topic: Switch Panel Placement  (Read 976 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Switch Panel Placement
« on: February 13, 2023, 08:00:57 AM »
My FED is really coming together, and I'm steadily crossing things off of the to-do list.

One of the next items on the list is wiring the car and I'm trying to decide placement of a switch panel. I feel it maybe needs to be just ahead of the grips of the butterfly steering wheel and centered so it doesn't interfere with leg movement for getting in or out of the car. I'm thinking maybe a vertical panel about even with the wheel QD, just above the axle housing/3rd member surface. I could possible mount it to either a bracket off of the 3rd member bolts, or something built on to the steering shaft support tube that runs from side to side of the top chassis tube. From where that tube is located, the bracket would have to extend back about 6" from the support tube to be an easy reach for the driver.

I have plans to have a master power switch (that will kill all circuits), ignition switch, start button, and switches for the electric water pump, fuel pump and radiator cooling fan. I do have a cable operated high amperage battery cut off near the battery in front of the engine with a "Push-to-kill" big red knob at the left rear corner of the car. It kills everything including power to the starter. The water pump, fuel pump and fan will all be wired through relays and I plan to mount them near the mid-plate to minimize the length of wires to be run. All circuits will be separately fused on a 6 fuse panel and a main 30A breaker will power everything

I've searched for examples of similar switch panels, but haven't found much between a very basic 2 or 3 switch/control panel and a full-on dash with gauges. I don't plan any gauges in the cockpit. I do plan to have an adjustable shift light at the front of the cowl mounted to the mid-plate or back of the engine. When the cowl is removed I want all wiring and switches exposed for service/trouble shooting.

Anyone have any photos of a panel similar to what I described? I'm doing this all myself (I live in a rural area) with no one nearby who has been-there-done-that.

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:05:15 AM by lake_harley »

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
Re: Switch Panel Placement
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 10:34:27 AM »
When I ran allot of electrical stuff. I just mounted toggle switches in the dash for water pumps and fans etc. I had bigger switches for ignition (was just a Function of master)and fuel pump then mounted all the relays together under the cowl.

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:41:19 AM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLtUgXBtP8BseBBp9

This is the setup now but you can kinda see what I did. Behind the black tach tattle tale is all the holes for the old switches.

Can see the terminal block under the cowl and how I have the relay setup.

If you need help with wiring I can probably put some kind of schematic together. (Electrical tech by day)

Anything I can do to help 281-414-5668

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 06:18:34 PM »
Thank you! Those photos and your description help a lot! It looks like your panel is maybe about 6" ahead of the steering QD?

I see you had your switches just under the steering shaft. I think I have enough room to put the line of switches either in line or just above the steering shaft. My logic is  that getting them up from under the wheel might make them easier to see to turn on and off. I may split the switch placement and put the Master, Ignition and Start on the left side (close to the chute release) so a quick slap would shut down the car, and put the Water Pump, Fuel Pump and Fan on the right side. Does that seem a reasonable, logical approach?

Lynn

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 06:39:03 PM »
Seems logical to me

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 10:04:02 AM »
Thanks!

I appreciate the offer to help with a wiring diagram, but I think I have what I need to do in my head. I've wired a couple hot rods and managed to get everything to work according to plan. I will sketch out a diagram though just to make sure I don't forget anything and have to go back to undo a loom of wires because I forgot one. :o 

Lynn

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 03:43:26 PM »
Put on your firesuit, gloves and helmet, sit in the car and see what and where you can reach. That will determine where you put your switches. You can even tab them off a diagonal tube on the side of the car. Put them where you can get to them easily blind folded.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 04:02:28 PM »
I made a switch panel on the left side that is recessed between two frame uprights to save space.
Put on your firesuit, gloves and helmet, sit in the car and see what and where you can reach. That will determine where you put your switches. You can even tab them off a diagonal tube on the side of the car. Put them where you can get to them easily blind folded.