Author Topic: ram tube length for more power  (Read 987 times)

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
ram tube length for more power
« on: June 19, 2023, 09:40:35 AM »
Would matching intake length add more power.I see different length tubes on some dragsters Have crower on a sbc[alcohol].I know length effects toque curve.Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: ram tube length for more power
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 05:24:09 AM »
On a drag car I don't think tube length is that important. I've seen everything from NO tubes to 15" long. The revs on a dragster go up so fast and so high that the optimum tuning length as you make a run quickly diminishes to zero. Especially true if you are using a high stall converter.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 06:53:25 PM by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER »

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 05:30:45 AM »
I played with it--Just keep your nice visual look--shorter stubby do make top end --but in our league not worth giving away the cool look of stacks--tiny gains at our level IMO  --from the cockpit  I love to see the "frost " on the tubes beside the fire coming out the headers
Have fun!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »
I would think rpm range has big effect on correct answer here. Look at Jr. fuel guys.No tubes and some running into 6.90 or quicker with SBC. I was never crazy about the staggered length look.  If I ran that style injection it would very short stacks
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 11:52:15 PM »
Thanks for your input,will keep the cool look.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 08:45:10 AM »
spookie - I'm thinking it's not such a simple question for individual runner stack injection.  It needs to have all the fuel injection parts correct based on your engine specs and fuel selection.  For example, a more important item is the size of the butterflies based on whether you are going to run gas, methanol, methanol and nitro, or just nitro.

As wideopen stated, the Jr. Fuel guys running IR stack injection run virtually no stacks, and their butterflies are probably 3 inch diameter or larger on a sbc style engine.  Compare that to a 327ci bracket racer with an early Hilborn running gas, their butterflies are easily half the size when it comes to flow.  The early Hilborn would slow the Jr. Fuel person down, and vice versa, the 3 inch diameter on the 327 running gas would slow it down as well no matter what length velocity tube was selected. 

For me, if my goal is to achieve the best hp/torque for my own engine spec, I'd start with the correct basics and add parts correctly from there (e.g. pump, barrel valve, filters, nozzles, lines, etc.).  Alan