Author Topic: Parachute Mounting  (Read 944 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Parachute Mounting
« on: December 30, 2022, 07:34:32 AM »
So far through searching I haven't really found any good instructions or guidelines for mounting a parachute to my FED. I know there are dangers to having the tether mounted too high or too low. One suggestion was to have the tether mount on a plane that would run through the camshaft. That seems reasonable.

I just bought a new Stroud 401 Chute and do have a 4-hole mounting plate that came along with some assorted parts I bought from someone on this forum. I guess 4 holes get punched through the chute pack to mount the pack to the chassis? Of course the tether would have to mount to a separate strong "pull point" at the appropriate height on the rear of the chassis.

Hopefully 2 photos of the rear of my chassis will appear below. Perhaps some recommendations can be made regarding mounting points for the pack itself and the chute tether. I will be installing wrap-around shoulder belts to the horizontal tube that's about 6-7" long located just below the shoulder hoop with the belts going over the shoulder hoop. I'm guessing that area would be good for the placement of the pack so the chute would be deployed (spring deploy) into an area with good airflow. Suggestions on the tether mount and what type bracketry would be appropriate in terms of tube diameter and wall thickness and bracket tab thickness would be appreciated.

I'm learning a lot through building this car and I'd like to think I'm smart enough to ask for guidance when I run into safety related questions. Thanks, in advance!

Lynn

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
Re: Parachute Mounting
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 04:08:22 PM »
Centerline of the axle, not camshaft.  Tether must be a 1/2" diameter pin or bolt, so your tabs need to be strong enough to prevent that pin from pulling through.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline Ray Hadford

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4= 6.72 202.20 mph
  • Your Engine: Supercharged 400 sbc methanol fuel
  • Your Track: Pacific Raceways
  • Your Vehicle: 2002 225 " Spitzer FED
  • General Location: Northwest, Everett WA
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 01:00:32 PM »
My vote would be camshaft  center line.... 

Check out our car on facebook under Hadford Racing       google.... Hadford Racing and it will come up.  look for the launch picture at Mission Raceway. We have made over 75 runs with this set up.....  works very well

We have run a best of  6.72  and  205  in the   1/4...... Car is very stable when chute is popped.  Have also popped both chutes..... stable ...... not enough roll out...... did not make it to the turn out....    : )   

Ray H.

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 07:27:15 PM »
Just for the sake of closure, I finally talked with an engineer at S&W race cars which is where I bought the. After conversation I moved the tether mount to a lower tube that's very close to the height of the axle centerline. I hesitated mounting it there because of the length of the tube, but the engineer assured me it would be fine. Their plans are very nice, but they just didn't include a chute mount point on any of the drawings.

Lynn