Technical > Roo Man's Room

SFI chassis specs

<< < (2/3) > >>

tcoupekyle:
I got a 6.0 cert this year and there was no mention of needing oval tube.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
maybe its merely a proposed change?

denverflatheader:
I checked the SFI website and the last revision shown for Spec. 2.6c was done in December 2021.  The only mention of Oval Tubing in that revision was related to the minimum acceptable wall thickness for mild steel round and oval tubing is 0.118 inches.

Per the SFI website, SFI reviews exiting specifications on a periodic basis to ensure the specs remain current to changing conditions.  SFI has in the past held their review meeting at the Performance Racing Industry Trade Show (PRI) usually held around the first week in December.  When it is closer to the meeting date, they will probably post a meeting agenda on their website of the topics and potential revisions to discuss.  You could check the agenda when posted in December to see any discussions related to Spec 2.6c.

Just click on the SFI website link posted above by Paul, go to the top menu line-item Tech & Safety to see the last Chassis Spec Tech Advisories and Updates currently listed.

Finnish Fireball:
This is the latest, see line #2 second hoop center bar spec and tell me what do you think this major/minor axis means actually?
Maybe I'm just a dumb foreigner but I don't get it.

denverflatheader:
Yes, I see that Number 2 Rear Hoop Center Brace.  See lll.1.f. and the Table to the right showing If Roll Cage Height 18 inches or less or exceeds 18 inches. 

The Table shows the same Specs for either 6 point Roll Cage Height.  I think I'm seeing 1. major axis x .049 or .857 minor axis x .049. 

Yes, you are not confused. That translates to an ellipse (oval) from my understanding as well, with 1.0 inch being the longer dimension of the ellipse and 0.857 inch being the shorter dimension of the ellipse.

If those are the dimension of the ellipse, right away I would think it would be too small for the top center brace you are questioning.  1 inch tubing in the helmet area of the roll cage is usually for the helmet bar. 

When Number 2 item mentions See lll.1.f. - what information is that?  Perhaps it will help answer the question if it shows a diagram.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version